Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Hopefully somebody can give me some advice on this. I am leaving for Whistler today and noticed last night when I was getting my bike ready that some oil had leaked out of the top of the spring side of the fork where the travel adjustment knob is. Now the bike and fork have been stored upside down for about a week which I am guessing caused this. I checked the screw that holds the travel adjustment knob in place and it was tight. Should I add more oil, if so how would I determine how much to add? Not sure if this is related but months ago after a very muddy race the travel adjustment stopped working so I removed the the travel adjustment knob and cleaned it up, now there are these 3 little ball bearings that are right under the top cap and I lost one of them even though I was using a magnet :madman: The top cap seemed to seat fine with just the 2 ball bearings?

Thanks!

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
It's a splash bath, or lubrication oil. A little loss is not a big deal and could be residual from when you messed with it before. As long as you're not having issues with the U-Turn turning by itself, 2 ball bearings should be fine.

_MK

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
I ride my Pike "balls out" - I had to say it! ;) I removed the little springs and balls that index the u-turn knob out testing springs and found I don't need them. I adjust travel a lot on the fly while riding lots of climbs followed by flats and downhill, and it may even make it easier to turn the knob. It does back down slightly sometimes when riding "balls out", but no more than about 1/8 turn that I've noticed.

There's not a whole lot of splash bath oil, but enough that a few drops lost won't matter. You should change your oil everywhere in the fork when you return from the trip, it will need it. Every 6 months if you ride a lot.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Apologies to the OP for the jack, but a friend of mine had the same problem after only 1 ride. What causes it? Can it be fixed at home by a mediocre mechanic (me), or does it need sending away for new seals etc.?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.