Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just switched to an xt casstte from a 950 sram cassette. While in the middle chain ring I feel a grinding between the 3rd and 5th cog on the rear. I then switch to a new shimano xtr chain from a sram 951. The gringing is still there. I am running x7 shifters and an x9 rear derailer. Please help?????

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Does it happen no matter if you shift into that range of cogs from lower or higher gears? Do you put it up in a stand and closely check to see/hear what's happening, or is it even evident in the stand or just while riding? Checked for a bent derailleur hanger or bent derailleur cage? Checked the cassette for bent teeth?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Does it happen no matter if you shift into that range of cogs from lower or higher gears? Do you put it up in a stand and closely check to see/hear what's happening, or is it even evident in the stand or just while riding? Checked for a bent derailleur hanger or bent derailleur cage? Checked the cassette for bent teeth?
Yes, I tried it in the stand. The bike is only a month old, so I know the middle chain ring is O.K. I will check the derailleur hanger tonight. Thanks. I will let you know what I discover.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If the bike is only a month old, why all the drivetrain changes. Were there problems beforehand that instigated the changes in cassette and chain? Also, if it is only a month old, why not get the LBS to deal with the problem? It should still be under warranty.

·
Brant-C.
1,072 Posts
jpick915 said:
If the bike is only a month old, why all the drivetrain changes. Were there problems beforehand that instigated the changes in cassette and chain? Also, if it is only a month old, why not get the LBS to deal with the problem? It should still be under warranty.
+1

you should get a free tune up after the bike purchase :thumbsup:

·
Brant-C.
1,072 Posts
well, then you're sol on free tune up.

if your bike came with instructions for rear and front derailleur read them on how to setup/adjust. you'll need to adjust high and low limit screws and also the cable adjuster on the rear derailleur.

otherwise, post back and we'll see what we can do.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

First I want to say thanks for all of your quick responses. Problem solved. I rode a couple of laps at my local bike trail and the grinding stopped. I guess the new chain and cassette loosened up. Thanks C

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.