Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my bike out of the car, lubed the chain then went out for a ride in the driveway.

Hit the RH brake lever and it went almost to the bar and fluid was squirting out a hole on the front of the caliper.

Seems there is a plug that goes in a small rubber hole in the res. I amazingly found the tiny plastic plug thing in the car and put it back in.

The fluid doesn't come out any more but the lever is only spongy when both wheels are on the ground.

If I raise the front wheel way off the ground and pump the brake lever it gets nice and firm and stops well but soon as I put the frt wheel back down on the ground, after a few pumps the brake lever gets spongy again.

I guessing too much fluid was lost and I need to bleed it right?

How can I bleed the caliper at home? I planning on a ride tomorrow morning and the bike shops will be all closed.

Any way to bleed this thing with out special tools or bleed kit? Help pls.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
HFX-9's ay :confused: You will need to pull the plug back out, rotate the master cylinder so the hole is facing up. You will need to find a addaptor to fin into the hole but allow the fluid to flow into a catch container. Get a plastic squeeze container or syringe, fill with brake fluid & burp out air. Attach the hose from the fluid container to the caliper nipple, loosen nipple & squeeze or inject the fluid in slowly till it comes out the maser clean & bubble free. Tighten caliper nipple, remove master addaptor & reinstall plug. Now cross your fingers & see if you did well, if yes pat yoursely on the back if not do it all over again. :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that info I got from the Hayes site, but thanks for trying.

I solved my problem a different way.

Since my brake system was not totally empty (it would pump up if frt was raised properly), I raised the front with caliper angled properly and used a syringe with needle to carefully 'inject' fluid into the reservoir as I pumped the brake lever. Once the reservior was full I put on the tiny plug cap and all is good to go.

Moral of story: Be careful not to lose or hit or rub off the very, tiny plug that is only poorly plugged into a rubber hole in the Hayes master cyl reservior.

Also, FWIW, I believe that tiny cap came out of my reservior cap because my bike was in my car yesterday on a VERY HOT sunny day (i.e. inside temp of car was way high) and fluid expansion and pressure caused the plug to pop out by itself.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Destroy said:
Well that info I got from the Hayes site, but thanks for trying.

I solved my problem a different way.

Since my brake system was not totally empty (it would pump up if frt was raised properly), I raised the front with caliper angled properly and used a syringe with needle to carefully 'inject' fluid into the reservoir as I pumped the brake lever. Once the reservior was full I put on the tiny plug cap and all is good to go.

Moral of story: Be careful not to lose or hit or rub off the very, tiny plug that is only poorly plugged into a rubber hole in the Hayes master cyl reservior.

Also, FWIW, I believe that tiny cap came out of my reservior cap because my bike was in my car yesterday on a VERY HOT sunny day (i.e. inside temp of car was way high) and fluid expansion and pressure caused the plug to pop out by itself.
My HFX-9s are leaking through the plastic plug. Anyway I can get a new plastic piece or are the brakes in need of a major repair?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Odd it would be leaking from the plug. Check the plug and rubber grommet it plugs into for any tears, gouges or deformations.

Also, has it been really hot? Make sure its really leaking and not just fluid being pushed out due to expansion of fluid.

If the brakes still pump up, were working fine before hand or get still solid feeling lever, there should be no problem.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Destroy said:
Odd it would be leaking from the plug. Check the plug and rubber grommet it plugs into for any tears, gouges or deformations.

Also, has it been really hot? Make sure its really leaking and not just fluid being pushed out due to expansion of fluid.

If the brakes still pump up, were working fine before hand or get still solid feeling lever, there should be no problem.
Heat is not a problem... (I like in Alaska!) :)

I will check the plug and grommet. I think the problem is there somewhere. Perhaps I did not reinstall correctly.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
mtbike_AK said:
My HFX-9s are leaking through the plastic plug. Anyway I can get a new plastic piece or are the brakes in need of a major repair?
Here is something I found out yesterday bleeding my 9's. The bladder mounts to the aluminum cap by virtue of the fact that the bladder has a T shaped spout that shoves through the aluminum cap. Mine got pushed in when I inserted the bleed fitting and I couldn't get the plastic plug to push/stay in anymore. It took a while to figure this out and I had to remove the cap and bladder and reinsert the spout. It wasn't ez to do so, but I think everything is back to normal. If it leaks, I'll have to buy a new bladder/cap assembly. Be careful when you insert the bleed fitting. I hope all this makes sense. Look at the illustrations in the Hayes manuals.

That plastic plug is kind of a cheezy design (I would have prefered a screw and o-ring. I guess that's one reason why the 9's are much cheaper than the Mags. The good thing is that the brakes were relatively ez to bleed. Someone said the Avid Jucy's are hard to bleed (can anyone comment on this?).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.