Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good front and rear tire to run in wet, muddy conditions. We have lots of clay type mud so it's very sticky and clogs up tires real fast (that I've tried so far anyways). Any suggestions / recomendations would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
(x-reply)
For clay the more open the better. Look at:
  • Panaracer TrailRaker 1.95/2.1
  • Schwalbe Black Shark Mud 2.1
  • IRC Stingo XC 1.90
  • Tioga Black Turtle 1.9
  • Maxxis Medusa 1.8
  • Maxxis Swampthing 2.1
All work front and rear.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shiggy said:
(x-reply)
For clay the more open the better. Look at:
  • Panaracer TrailRaker 1.95/2.1
  • Schwalbe Black Shark Mud 2.1
  • IRC Stingo XC 1.90
  • Tioga Black Turtle 1.9
  • Maxxis Medusa 1.8
  • Maxxis Swampthing 2.1
All work front and rear.
Thanks for the reply Shiggy. My friend was using some chen sing tire on our ride yesterday in the wet clay mud and it was working pretty well. I had on a 2.3" WTB Weirwolf on the back and a 2.1" Hutchinson Bulldog on the front - they both packed up pretty good on me. I'll see if I can source some of those tires to try. Is thinner better for wet mud like it is for cars? Would seem that way from your suggestions. ANyway thanks again for the help just thought I'd x-post it for more feedback.

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
LyNx said:
Thanks for the reply Shiggy. My friend was using some chen sing tire on our ride yesterday in the wet clay mud and it was working pretty well. I had on a 2.3" WTB Weirwolf on the back and a 2.1" Hutchinson Bulldog on the front - they both packed up pretty good on me. I'll see if I can source some of those tires to try. Is thinner better for wet mud like it is for cars? Would seem that way from your suggestions. ANyway thanks again for the help just thought I'd x-post it for more feedback.
I generally put my narrower tire in the back. This allows it to sink down to harder surfaces to aid traction. a narrow front tire however is more likely to be bogged down in mud and ruts causing loss of control, so you're better off with something wider to float through uneven terrain up front.

The best mud tire i ever used were Geax Blades. Geax still makes a similar tire called the Barro. very similar tread pattern. I'd recommend it only for the rear

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Yup. I prefer narrower tires front and rear in deep mud. Wider tires tend to wander - especially on the front - and can not cut through the slop to find traction.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Well I never tried the Blades but swear by the Barro's. I've been using them in the 1.7 version front and rear for races in pure mud and they're awesome, I climed from standstill up a two metre, 50 degree slope which was coated in slick mud, I couldn't beleive it. If the 1.7 is too skinny for you Geax are now making the Barro Marathon in a 2.0, I reckon this will be my winter tyre and the 1.7's will only come out for extremely muddy conditions.

Cya, John.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
endurowanker said:
I generally put my narrower tire in the back. This allows it to sink down to harder surfaces to aid traction. a narrow front tire however is more likely to be bogged down in mud and ruts causing loss of control, so you're better off with something wider to float through uneven terrain up front.
Yeh I know and I had originally bought the WTB Weirwolf for the front, but it sucked - sorry to all who say it's a great tire up front. The reason it sucked to me is how it felt on landing jumps - I had found a new trail and it when run downhill it's a nice fast flowing run with 1 nice jump. BUT there's ruts at the bottom of the jump and the first time I found it I was running it downhilll and just came on the jump doing speed and could do nothing but launch, then I saw the ruts and started saying hail marry's. I was running the Hutchinson Bulldog's both front and rear and it landed and felt very solid and rolled through the ruts, when I tried the Weirwolf and landed (after having done the trail 3 or 4 times) the tire felt very squirmish and "rolly" - I was running the same type pressures as the Bulldog. Maybe it needed "running in" I don't know, I'll give it another try up front and see how it goes now I've put 100+ miles on it as a rear tire - which BTW it works very sweet for (not in mud) especially on tarmac it doesn't seem to wear as fast as the Bulldogs.

endurowanker said:
The best mud tire i ever used were Geax Blades. Geax still makes a similar tire called the Barro. very similar tread pattern. I'd recommend it only for the rear
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll see if I can find them. On this note can anyone point me to somewhere that stocks a decent range of tires everywhere that I have tried online I don't seem to be able to find any mud tires.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
LyNx said:
Yeh I know and I had originally bought the WTB Weirwolf for the front, but it sucked - sorry to all who say it's a great tire up front. The reason it sucked to me is how it felt on landing jumps - I had found a new trail and it when run downhill it's a nice fast flowing run with 1 nice jump. BUT there's ruts at the bottom of the jump and the first time I found it I was running it downhilll and just came on the jump doing speed and could do nothing but launch, then I saw the ruts and started saying hail marry's. I was running the Hutchinson Bulldog's both front and rear and it landed and felt very solid and rolled through the ruts, when I tried the Weirwolf and landed (after having done the trail 3 or 4 times) the tire felt very squirmish and "rolly" - I was running the same type pressures as the Bulldog. Maybe it needed "running in" I don't know, I'll give it another try up front and see how it goes now I've put 100+ miles on it as a rear tire - which BTW it works very sweet for (not in mud) especially on tarmac it doesn't seem to wear as fast as the Bulldogs.

-snip-.
Some folks don't like the Weirwolf on hardpack, but most find it works great in loose stuff, especially up front, especially the edges (off cambers etc). Maybe you need to play with the pressures a bit, not all tires like the same pressure.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
LyNx said:
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll see if I can find them. On this note can anyone point me to somewhere that stocks a decent range of tires everywhere that I have tried online I don't seem to be able to find any mud tires.
Blades are not good in sticky clay. They WILL pack up.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
fsrxc said:
Some folks don't like the Weirwolf on hardpack, but most find it works great in loose stuff, especially up front, especially the edges (off cambers etc). I found it a bit slippy in the wet though.
Yup. The tall knobs flex a lot on hard stuff. I love the 2.5 as a rear sand tire.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
shiggy said:
Blades are not good in sticky clay. They WILL pack up.
Meant for the tires you suggested or anyone, can't seem to find them online and dread asking the bike shop I got my bike from to special order them. Most online shops seem to carry more gravel/dry mud tires.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
LyNx said:
Meant for the tires you suggested or anyone, can't seem to find them online and dread asking the bike shop I got my bike from to special order them. Most online shops seem to carry more gravel/dry mud tires.
I do not keep up on on-line suppliers.

Go to a different LBS or give Larry (ventanarama) a call. He can get you most anything. http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

You can order Schwalbe and Maxxis tires direct from their sites.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
shiggy said:
Yup. The tall knobs flex a lot on hard stuff. I love the 2.5 as a rear sand tire.
Yeh I really like the 2.3" Weirwolf runing it as a rear tire, it hooks up well in almost everything 'cept wet mud. Wears really good too.

shiggy said:
I do not keep up on on-line suppliers.

Go to a different LBS or give Larry (ventanarama) a call. He can get you most anything. http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

You can order Schwalbe and Maxxis tires direct from their sites.
Cool, thanks again Shiggy. Wish it was that to go to another LBS, unfortunately we only really have 1 LBS that stocks any great supply of anything and a smaller one - MTB tires aren't a priority - I'll still mention some of the tires to them and see what they say.

I'll check the Schwalbe and Maxxis sites for info.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
LyNx said:
Yeh I really like the 2.3" Weirwolf runing it as a rear tire, it hooks up well in almost everything 'cept wet mud. Wears really good too.

Cool, thanks again Shiggy. Wish it was that to go to another LBS, unfortunately we only really have 1 LBS that stocks any great supply of anything and a smaller one - MTB tires aren't a priority - I'll still mention some of the tires to them and see what they say.

Ahh, Barbados!

That does change things. What countries are easy to order from for you?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
shiggy said:
Ahh, Barbados!

That does change things. What countries are easy to order from for you?
The US is the easiest place to order stuff from, but you get trouble sometimes if you don't have a US based CC and if you want to ship to an address other than your billing address. Problem is getting the stuff down here without shipping it direct here and having to pay outrageous taxes as well as shipping. Kinda have to get it right when you order and from a trust worthy place (so they don't screw up and send you the wrong thing) as returning stuff isn't easy and gets expensive. I normally will order stuff and ship it to a forwarder in Miami and get it sent in or brought in if someones going up to the US.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
LyNx said:
The US is the easiest place to order stuff from, but you get trouble sometimes if you don't have a US based CC and if you want to ship to an address other than your billing address. Problem is getting the stuff down here without shipping it direct here and having to pay outrageous taxes as well as shipping. Kinda have to get it right when you order and from a trust worthy place (so they don't screw up and send you the wrong thing) as returning stuff isn't easy and gets expensive. I normally will order stuff and ship it to a forwarder in Miami and get it sent in or brought in if someones going up to the US.
Might talk to Dirt Boy at Light-Bikes.com He is in Coral Gables, Florida.

·
Registered
19 Posts
the BEST mud tire, too bad it's been retired...

Specialized Storm Control. Great big teardrop shaped lugs, real far apart. had the tire in my garage for quite awhile. A couple years ago there was a mountain bike race and the course was clay. It rained early that morning. I put the tire on the back and was ready to go. When the race started, as soon as we hit the first upward slope, EVERYONE was clipping out and runnning except me. It was awesome. My best results ever were on that day (3rd out of like 250). Guys were shouting at me to tell them what tire I had on the back throughout the race. Told 'em not to bother, you cant even buy it anymore..... Still have the tire in storage today.... waiting for another opportunity...

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
gkd said:
Specialized Storm Control. Great big teardrop shaped lugs, real far apart. had the tire in my garage for quite awhile. A couple years ago there was a mountain bike race and the course was clay. It rained early that morning. I put the tire on the back and was ready to go. When the race started, as soon as we hit the first upward slope, EVERYONE was clipping out and runnning except me. It was awesome. My best results ever were on that day (3rd out of like 250). Guys were shouting at me to tell them what tire I had on the back throughout the race. Told 'em not to bother, you cant even buy it anymore..... Still have the tire in storage today.... waiting for another opportunity...
I have 4-5 Stormies on the hook. Great tire though it has been surpassed by the Black Shark Mud and TrailRaker in most mucky conditions.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Panaracer Trail Blasters

LyNx said:
I'm looking for a good front and rear tire to run in wet, muddy conditions. We have lots of clay type mud so it's very sticky and clogs up tires real fast (that I've tried so far anyways). Any suggestions / recomendations would be appreciated.
Shiggy is the resident tire expert, but I use Panaracer Trail Blaster 2.1 tires and get into mud most rides. Even at the driest time of year, you can still find mud around here.

I find that these tires clear out the mud well, due to the wide low profile tire tread knobs and their spacing.

old_dude

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
friends don't let friends ride WTB's in the wet!!

LyNx said:

I'm in WEstern WA north of Shiggy and friends dont't let friends ride wtb tires in the wet. Around here when it gets wet and muddy, almost half of the year, and occasionally other times, there is mud and wet slippery roots and logs to tend with, and many, if not most WTB tires are way too hard of a compond for the wet roots. Look at a wet root wrong w/ a velocirapter or similar Wtb tire and you will slide out and likely fall. Some of the narrower mud specific tires are also too hard of a compond for wet roots. But if your mostly going at clayish mud and don't have to worry about wet roots and logs, then one of the narrow Shiggy recomondations should work.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.