Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am 15, 5'4", and weight 110 lbs. I grew out of my old bike and need a new one. I go mountain biking about once or twice a month and biking on roads a couple times a week, about 10 mi normally (since its my main source of transportation). I guess i need a bike good for both, we were looking at a haro flightline 3 and a gary fisher tarpon. I'm not limited to those, but max price would be $450 ish. Any suggestions..? Thanks in advance! :)

·
Live 2 Ride
6,048 Posts
Check out the Giant Revel line. I got one and so far I love the bike.

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
Search Craigslist.

I think a used Specialized FSR is an excellent choice and I'm sure there are other similar choices.

Stick to the major brands, look for quality components and gentle use from the owner.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Search Craigslist.

I think a used Specialized FSR is an excellent choice and I'm sure there are other similar choices.

Stick to the major brands, look for quality components and gentle use from the owner.
Definitely. Tons of great used options. I was in a similar boat as you but only had $250... it essentially got me a used $450 bike. $450 on the used market could get you a decent full suspension or a rather high end hardtail.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, i checked out craigslist and there are not really any good (newer) bikes in our price range. However we did go to sun and ski and bike line to check some out. The Haro flightline 3, gary fisher tarpon, and trek 3700 were the ones that stood out the most. I am sort of leaning for the haro because of the disc brakes, but they are not as reputable as trek/ gary fisher. which one would you guys choose? why? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Haro makes fine bikes, but don't just look at the disc brakes. They're probably lower priced models that may not even work as good as good v brakes. It really depends how each of the bikes are spec'd, but really, they're all generally comparable to the Giant Yukon I got for $250 on Craigslist.

·
Registered
258 Posts
How tall are your parents, and the rest of your immediate family? Are you finished with your puberty growth spurt? You may want to get a size or two bigger frame depending on the answer to these questions.

FYI, when I entered high school at 14 I was only 5'-5'1". I had delayed puberty, and I don't think I reached my adult height till just about the end of high school or perhaps even after graduation. I am 6'1" now, but my mom is about 5'6" and my dad is 5'9". I am sure I got my height from my maternal grandfather and his side of the family. This might be the most important matter for you to consider, as at your age it is not wise to throw down what may be to you or your family alot of money on a bike if you are still growing, perhaps craigslist would be better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts