Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried airing up my Maxxis DH non-UST High Rollers onto my 819s and they wouldn't go. Becuz the bead of the tires are close together, they don't come into contact with the rim much of the 819, so they cannot form a seal to even begin to hold air.

I was using a 1/4-1/2 HP Craftsman air compressor, so I don't know if that was the weak part of the equation, but the tires weren't even close to forming a seal. Not a problem with my Nevegal UST tires.

Do all UST tires have a wider spread on the beads to seat better on UST rims or what?

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Non UST tire on a UST rim without a tube? Notice something is not right in that sentence? The weak point of the equation is that you are trying to mount non UST tires as UST tires, it's not supposed to work. UST tires have UST specific beads and casings. You could use the tires with sealant to seal them up but I don't recommand it... I'm not sure I understand you 'beads close together / beads far apart.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm assuming your tires are new. Mount them with tubes first, let them expand a bit, remove the tubes and try again. Soapy water on the beads will help too.

However I second the opinion of not doing it. Why would you anyway? Those are DH tires, it's not like you're going to save much weight. If you're riding hard enough to get pinch flats either try upping the pressure, stronger tubes or get real UST tires; these are likely to fail dramatically on you without warning in those conditions.

YMMV,

Maurice

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I decided against trying to run it that way too. I didnt want to take a chance with the non-ust tires on the ust rims. Especially with the DH tires and fast DH-type runs, I don't need tires blowing off the rim in the middle of a tricky section of trail.

Thanks for the input fellas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.