Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody ever put a 120mm fork on a El Padrino? I bought one of the closeout El Padrino's from Ventana 2-3 months ago and I just ordered a new fork.

I am replacing a 2008 F29 with a 2010 Reba w/maxle. The F29 was set at 100mm but I was wondering if I left the Reba at 120mm would it feel too raked out? I know the Padrino was designed around an 80mm fork so I also wonder about putting too much stress on the frame.

Anywho, just wanted to ask if anybody has ever run their El Padrino this way.

Thanks
Ben

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN said:
I know the Padrino was designed around an 80mm fork so I also wonder about putting too much stress on the frame.
Ok, I'll bite.

First off, no! Ha! No, I have not tried this length fork on that bike. I've got a couple of V's, but not a Padrino. I will say, going from 80mm to 120mm is a fair amount of difference. The real answer will come from Sherwood. That's the only way I'd try something like this, by asking him. My gut feeling is that he'll not recommend it, from a engineering standpoint, but I don't really know the answer. Would be interested in what you do find out, assuming you make the call.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
I was wondering if anybody ever put a 120mm fork on a El Padrino? I bought one of the closeout El Padrino's from Ventana 2-3 months ago and I just ordered a new fork.

I am replacing a 2008 F29 with a 2010 Reba w/maxle. The F29 was set at 100mm but I was wondering if I left the Reba at 120mm would it feel too raked out? I know the Padrino was designed around an 80mm fork so I also wonder about putting too much stress on the frame.

Anywho, just wanted to ask if anybody has ever run their El Padrino this way.

Thanks
Ben
as with any bike not designed around a 120mm fork, generally a bad idea for a variety of reasons not the least of which the otherwise BALANCED geo will be whacked. Not to mention, and I defer to Sherwizzle, the HT junction is not made to go with that length fork/slack of an angle so frankly a bad idea just cuz you "can" put a 120mm fork on the bike. I could modify a steerer tube and put it on a roadbike, also a bad idea.

if you feel the need for 120mm travel you should get a custom geo built around that to retain the important characteristics of BB height etc when set at 120mm

having said all of this, i dont recall the bb height at 100mm and perhaps sherwood changed it up knowing folks might want to do this...only he can say

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
El Salt said:
Would be interested in what you do find out, assuming you make the call.
I plan to give Ventana a call today to ask the man himself. We'll see what he says...

FoShizzle said:
as with any bike not designed around a 120mm fork, generally a bad idea for a variety of reasons not the least of which the otherwise BALANCED geo will be whacked. Not to mention, and I defer to Sherwizzle, the HT junction is not made to go with that length fork/slack of an angle so frankly a bad idea just cuz you "can" put a 120mm fork on the bike. I could modify a steerer tube and put it on a roadbike, also a bad idea.

if you feel the need for 120mm travel you should get a custom geo built around that to retain the important characteristics of BB height etc when set at 120mm

having said all of this, i dont recall the bb height at 100mm and perhaps sherwood changed it up knowing folks might want to do this...only he can say
I agree with what you said, I guess I was just hoping somebody had already done it so my conscious would be eased if I decided to. ;) I am happy with the way the bike rides with a 100mm fork up front. I think part of the reason I asked is that I have been riding my Spot more lately and am getting used to the slacker feel of that bike. Made me wonder what a 120mm of cush would feel like. I'll post up again when I get an answer from Ventana.

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
I plan to give Ventana a call today to ask the man himself. We'll see what he says...
Sweet. Seriously, I would be curious to know what he says! :thumbsup:

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
juan_speeder said:
Check out the geometry of the El Comandante on the Ventana site:

http://ventanausa.com/frame_elcomandante.html

501mm fork lenth is a 120mm fork with 1" of sag, no?

That'd be your geometry with your weight on the bike.
thats a good point...526 for reba (static) i believe so maybe it is made to accomodate 120 after all and the angles at that point are very nice. its no wonder i loved my comandante on the technical stuff so much :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sooo, I spoke to Sherwood today about putting a 120mm Reba on the El Padrino. He said as long as my bike had the new style head tube gusset that it should be strong enough. I guess the old gusset was smaller.

Mine does have the newer gusset but I don't think I am going to run it at 120mm. Sherwood didn't seem fully confident in it. He wasn't like sure, it will be fine, don't worry about it. And that is not an attack on him at all. I just didn't walk away from the conversation with a warm and fuzzy feeling. So I plan to have a shop here in town drop it down to 100mm. It rides very well with that much travel up front anyway.

Anyways, that is the update!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts