Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
look 986
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have a look 986 with a semi integrated headset. i just purchased some sid world cups and they foul up against the frame steerer tube. looks like i'm missing a spacer or something but there is nothing of the sort provided with the frame or forks.

i'm fairly sure the headset is fitted correctly.

should there be a fork cone or something between the forks and headset to give a little clearance. surely the forks shouldn't rub against the frame when steering????????:confused:

·
look 986
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for reply. its the top of the crown just arond the circumfrance of the steerer tube thats in contact with the frame. i'm sure all parts are fitted correctly. maybe i need a spacer but wouln't this be supplied with frame or forks

·
Registered
560 Posts
Sounds like you need a crown race. It gets pressed onto the steerer tube where the bearing rests on the crown. It comes with a headset.

686 Posts
I'd say its the crown race your missing too

It's not missing from the kit, it'll be on your old suspension, you might need a blade or screwdriver to prise it off. Dont try and move it too far from one side or you'll bend it, just lever each siede up bit by bit

·
look 986
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for reply. its a new build so i think i'll just buy a new one. any suggestions on which one or are they all the same. thanks:)

·
look 986
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
would a crown race also be referred to as a fork cone? or is this a different componant altogether? thanks in advance

·
look 986
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
crown race now fitted. was still rubbing so i made a spacer and fitted it between the crown race and the forks. this has now sorted it nicely. seems a bit strange i had to take take meassures with brand new kit. thanks for everyones help:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts