Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone!

I am a brand new rider and live in CO. I got a 2-3 year old bike from someone just looking to get rid of it at the beginning of the summer and have been riding quite a bit (30-50 miles per week) and having a ton of fun. The bike is not a Wal-mart bike, more like Sears ;-) so it's not like I've done anything extreme but I'm just looking for some good beginner pointers. So, if you've got any good stuff for me, let me know. I know very little so anything would be helpful.
Also, I like this so much that I'd like to upgrade to a better bike (maybe with suspension- yippee!) this winter or spring so if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate that too!

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Lesley said:
Hi, everyone!

I am a brand new rider and live in CO. I got a 2-3 year old bike from someone just looking to get rid of it at the beginning of the summer and have been riding quite a bit (30-50 miles per week) and having a ton of fun. The bike is not a Wal-mart bike, more like Sears ;-) so it's not like I've done anything extreme but I'm just looking for some good beginner pointers. So, if you've got any good stuff for me, let me know. I know very little so anything would be helpful.
Also, I like this so much that I'd like to upgrade to a better bike (maybe with suspension- yippee!) this winter or spring so if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate that too!

Advice? Ride and have fun and try out lots of new bikes and hook up with riders in your area - they will be invaluable for all sorts of tips as well as us online folks. You are already headed in the right direction and are getting in some impressive milages!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any girl-specific pointers?

I've heard all kinds of horror stories and just wonder what I should be watching out for. :)

Thanks

·
Back in the saddle!
123 Posts
Lesley said:
Any girl-specific pointers?

I've heard all kinds of horror stories and just wonder what I should be watching out for. :)

Thanks
I can't think of any girl specific things that you may encounter that the male persuasian wouldn't, other than tampon related stuff. (We have tons of good threads about that :) ). Browse around in the women's lounge and check out the beginners forums. Ask all the questions you want!

Other than that, stay hydrated, get a good support bra, some wicking clothes are nice, and bring a phone if you can. Are you going to be riding alone, with other women, with men? Do you have someone who's ridden the trails to show you around?

My problem on my very first ride was simple frustration. I had to stop and realize that I had never mtn biked before. I wasn't going to be an expert the first time I rode a trail. My husband, who had never mtn biked either, did great and was ahead of me the entire time. He'd turn around after clearing something difficult and watch me try. This only made it worse, so finally I got him to ride quite a ways ahead and let me have a little privacy. Being alone took some of the pressure off and really helped me to start gaining confidence. Now I'm much better and even ride on my own while he's still at work. I still have lots to learn, but that's okay. Learning is the fun part!

Welcome to the WL!!

Atty

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel kind of silly just checking around about joining groups. I am sure there are groups for all abilities but I feel like I'll show up knowing nothing. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to give it a shot. It will probably be the only way I'll learn anyway!

Thanks,everyone!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I would like to add that you should get a decent bike pump (for your pack) and a tube repair kit/spare tube. Learn how to fix a flat or change a flat on your own. They you won't be a burden and rely on others if you flat out.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
here's a good tidbit for beginniers: do not wear underwear under padded shorts!!! It will increase any chafing or discomfort.

also, for groups and just showing up: I have never not had a good time, and I've found there are alway a real range of riders, of ALL ablilites.

formica

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! I agree that changing a flat is SO important. I have had to do it 3 times now and finally did the last one all on my own ( I even have levers and everything now)! Maybe I'm just a dork but I felt so excited about being able to do that all by myself!

Also, thanks for the "shorts and underwear" advice. A girl I met the other day told me about something she called "biker butt". Is this chafing? She described it as more of a rash or something even more extreme. Sorry to be grafic. :)

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Lesley said:
Also, thanks for the "shorts and underwear" advice. A girl I met the other day told me about something she called "biker butt". Is this chafing? She described it as more of a rash or something even more extreme. Sorry to be grafic. :)
graphic, that's nothing. Chafing can be anything from general tenderess to out and out abraded and scabbed labia, ingrown infected hair follicles and anything and everything in between. This is why it's so important to prevent it!! Everyone had a preference as to what saddle and what shorts are best, so sometime you have to play around to get comfortable. When you arent' used to riding a lot, there is a certain butt break-in period, but that's different from chafing.

eek, hope I didn't scare you off from riding!!

formica

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
Lesley said:
Hi, everyone!

Where are you riding in Colorado? The Fort Collins area has a women's club called B.O.B., Babes On Bikes. I've seen them out on the trails a few times and there are about 20 or so riders on their group rides.

http://www.fortnet.org/team_bob/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the "graphic" tips... being new, one always wonders if what happens to them is normal or not.

I am riding in Colorado Springs but I do make it up to Ft Collins sometimes. Thanks for the info! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts