Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend has a hardrock and he recently put a drop of triple on it. but the problem is that there is a big enough stratch on the stantion that is leaks oil. any tips for him?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
themarsvolta55 said:
ya its a hardrock... leave people alone about there bikes
i was refering to the hardrock+dot setup......

i would not put a dc fork on that

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
I don't think putting a DOT on a Hardrock was a good idea in the first place. Not bashing the HR or anything, but it is basically an XC frame, designed around a 100, or 120mm fork tops. It was not designed to handle the high axle to crown height nor the stresses of a double crown fork. Use the scratched stanchion as an excuse to put a fork that belongs on that bike on there. The scratched stanchion will probably need to be replaced (along with the crown and steerer tube all of that is cryofit together) -- call Marzocchi.

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Andrewpalooza said:
I don't think putting a DOT on a Hardrock was a good idea in the first place. Not bashing the HR or anything, but it is basically an XC frame, designed around a 100, or 120mm fork tops. It was not designed to handle the high axle to crown height nor the stresses of a double crown fork. Use the scratched stanchion as an excuse to put a fork that belongs on that bike on there. The scratched stanchion will probably need to be replaced (along with the crown and steerer tube all of that is cryofit together) -- call Marzocchi.

i got a drop off triple, and what do u mean by cryofit together? never herd of it

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
austinb89 said:
[/I]

i got a drop off triple, and what do u mean by cryofit together? never herd of it
Notice how the crown, stanchion, and steerer tube are all firmly attached to each other without welds, bolts, or glue. Marzocchi uses a process called Cryofit to join these pieces together so that they are attached stronger than even a welded piece. One part is chilled to a really low temperature (close to absolute zero?), while the other, the crown, is heated to about 400* F. When they are put together, they are allowed to go back to room temperature, and they expand/contract to form a damn strong connection. Don't believe it is reversible.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Andrewpalooza said:
Notice how the crown, stanchion, and steerer tube are all firmly attached to each other without welds, bolts, or glue. Marzocchi uses a process called Cryofit to join these pieces together so that they are attached stronger than even a welded piece. One part is chilled to a really low temperature (close to absolute zero?), while the other, the crown, is heated to about 400* F. When they are put together, they are allowed to go back to room temperature, and they expand/contract to form a damn strong connection. Don't believe it is reversible.
for real? i never knew marz was so innovative :confused:

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Chikity China said:
for real? i never knew marz was so innovative :confused:
Marzocchi isn't the only company to use it. I think it is fairly common in the suspension fork industry, but nothing outside that comes to mind when it comes to cryofit. I know there is other stuff it is used for though.

Edit: found this on NSMB.com

What the hell is Cryofit? This term refers to the process Marzocchi uses to attach fork crowns to stanchions - without bolts, adhesives or duct tape. Metals expand when heated and contract when cooled. Exploiting these properties, the Cryofit machine dips the stanchions in a steaming "cryogenic" tank of liquid nitrogen which is kept at the inviting temperature of -196º celsius . While the stanchions are being cooled the robotic arm (designed by Marzocchi's industrial division) reaches for a crown and places it in an oven where it is baked at 100º Celsius. The machine retrieves the stanchions and the crown and then slides the stanchions into place. After the newly mated components are allowed to return to room temperature they are said to be as strong as if they were welded together. The machine that performs this process is straight out of Star Wars. It moves silently and faster than Bruce Lee in his prime - truly a marvel of engineering.

Attachments

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Suggestion for the main topic: Get some nail polish or superglue and fill in the scratch. Then take one of those nail file things (like all girls have in their purses) and gently file it down till its flush (even) with the rest of the stanchion.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Andrewpalooza said:
Marzocchi isn't the only company to use it. I think it is fairly common in the suspension fork industry, but nothing outside that comes to mind when it comes to cryofit. I know there is other stuff it is used for though.

What the hell is Cryofit? This term refers to the process Marzocchi uses to attach fork crowns to stanchions - without bolts, adhesives or duct tape. Metals expand when heated and contract when cooled. Exploiting these properties, the Cryofit machine dips the stanchions in a steaming "cryogenic" tank of liquid nitrogen which is kept at the inviting temperature of -196º celsius . While the stanchions are being cooled the robotic arm (designed by Marzocchi's industrial division) reaches for a crown and places it in an oven where it is baked at 100º Celsius. The machine retrieves the stanchions and the crown and then slides the stanchions into place. After the newly mated components are allowed to return to room temperature they are said to be as strong as if they were welded together. The machine that performs this process is straight out of Star Wars. It moves silently and faster than Bruce Lee in his prime - truly a marvel of engineering.
thats pretty sweet, i thought that cryofreeze was only in scifi, didnt know these things were becoming reality so quickly

·
Registered
217 Posts
yeah, its a good idea, and a good way to bond it, however, it works the same way a clamp on crown would, but doesnt allow for user error (or removal). as for your scratch, clean the stanchions with a degreaser (simple green). tape off the area right around the scratch, and fill it in with a small amount of 2 part epoxy. let it dry, and trim the excess with an exacto kinfe. now, find some FINE sandpaper and work it down. you may wanna get some aluminum polish and buff it back out. but as said before, thats is WAY too much fork for that bike. not only will it kill the geometry (chopper-style rake in the headtube, too high BB hight, ect), but you will break your headtube off if your doin any kinda jumps/drops. i dont know if youve ever seen that happen, but it isnt pretty. get a stance blunt or fork off ebay if your on a budget.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Andrewpalooza said:

lol, anyone wanna go swimming?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.