Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone :)

I bought a secondhand Large 02 XCE a few months back which I've slowly built up. It's got the X rocker and Vanilla RC shock which I've had PUSH'd, and I've also found some X-R rockers if an air shock appeals.

So far it's a lovely ride but I'm blowing through the travel (as judged by the position of the rubber bumper on the shock shaft) very easily (6" drops!). I've never felt a hrash bottoming out, though. I need the fourm's advice on what to do!!

I'm 190lbs kitted up with a 550lb coil. This gives the right sag (25%). I've now got the compression turned up to 2/3, but still I'm using all the travel easily.

Is what I'm experiencing nothing to worry about, or do I need a bigger spring? If I need a bigger spring, where can I get one from that will fit? And what length? I'd be interested to know what spring / weight combos people run successfully.

As far as I know, I'll struggle to get anything beyond 110mm fitted on it, and there's not too many 600lb+ 2" springs around that are short enough.

Thanks

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
Farticus said:
Hi everyone :)
I bought a secondhand Large 02 XCE a few months back which I've slowly built up. It's got the X rocker and Vanilla RC shock which I've had PUSH'd, and I've also found some X-R rockers if an air shock appeals.

So far it's a lovely ride but I'm blowing through the travel (as judged by the position of the rubber bumper on the shock shaft) very easily (6" drops!). I've never felt a hrash bottoming out, though. I need the fourm's advice on what to do!!

I'm 190lbs kitted up with a 550lb coil. This gives the right sag (25%). I've now got the compression turned up to 2/3, but still I'm using all the travel easily.

Is what I'm experiencing nothing to worry about, or do I need a bigger spring? If I need a bigger spring, where can I get one from that will fit? And what length? I'd be interested to know what spring / weight combos people run successfully.

As far as I know, I'll struggle to get anything beyond 110mm fitted on it, and there's not too many 600lb+ 2" springs around that are short enough.

Thanks
Your spring sounds too light to me. I'm 165 on the same bike and shock running a 500 pound for 25% sag without any preload. Are you measuring 154mm eye to eye when you are on the bike? That should give you 25% sag.

Also, with coil shocks it can be difficult to tell if you are getting full travel. My bottom-out bumper slides to the bottom pretty easily, so I put a little dab of green grease on the top side of the bottom-out bumper before my ride. When I'm done with the ride, I check to see if the grease from the bottom-out bumper 'stamped' some green grease up where the shock shaft enters the shock body (the silver part). Usually, you'll see a perfect circular ring of grease stamped on the silver shock body if you are using full travel.

I would suggest a 600 pound spring without any preload. I like to run my Pushed Vanilla RC with only 1-3 clicks of compression, and a 500 pound spring allows me to do that without fear of harsh bottoming under Moab-like conditions.

Check out Mrdy's spring calculator, which also might get you in the ballpark.

Edit: By the way, call Fox and they can set you up with the correct spring. They are about $25 direct from them. Also, you shouldn't use more than two turns of preload from when the spring comes into full contact with the preload adjuster ring.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I had the opposite quesiton a while back. I also ride a 2002 Large XCE with original 1.75" stroke Vanilla RC and X-rockers. I weigh 190-195 suited up and I ride a 650# spring with a turn of preload. I don't do big jumps or large drops, just XC trail riding. I didn't feel like I was getting full travel on the spring because I never felt it bottom out. After posting here and watching my bumper more carefully I found I was getting all the travel out of the shock.

I really like the 650# spring weight as it provides a firm yet very plush ride with very little bob when setup correctly. You may want to consider a heavier spring if you plan on keeping the Vanilla. I am not sure how the PUSH mod will affect your tuning and/or spring weight. The 650# may be a bit too much for you on this mod. Here is a link to the thread that I started a while back. There was some good advice in it. Good Luck.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=68993

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you put more than 2 full turns of preload, Fox says that you will blow out athe resevior (sp?). I had this happen to me, and that is what they said, but I had the rebuild less than 90 days so they rebuilt it again for free. Next time I am going to Push it!!
It sounds like your spring might be too soft.
I do not ever remember feeling bottoming out but I do it all the time.
Good luck,
Wayne

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

That's a massive help - thanks all. It seems a 600lb spring is what's needed. Having spent the cash to have the PUSH mod I wnat to get the Vanilla working properly for me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.