Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Specialized Hardrock sport disc 29er on Craigslist. This is my first bike ever since I was a kid. I bought it on craigslist and the seller assured me the size would be ok. I am 6-3 and they gave me a 17.5 inch frame. After riding it a few times I think I could use a little bigger of a frame.

Long story short I put my bike on craigs list for a trade and have been offered a Giant Revel 29er 0. This bike has a 20 inch frame. Which in common sense means it should fit better...right...although it may not be the perfect height I thought it would at least be closer.

So I went and looked at the stand over height... the specialized has a 783mm (30.8 inches) But for some reason the Giant has a 30.4 inch. I dont know what this measurement is exactly but I dont know why a smaller bike would have a larger stand over height. which bike would fit me better. Sorry for a question that seems really ignorant but any help would be appreciated.

·
DFMBA.org
1,874 Posts
At 6'3" a 20" frame may be at the small end of what would be suitable for you unless you have a freakishly small inseam. I'm a hair over 6' and rode a large Trance 29. Giants tend to run a little big so it may work for you but you may want to look at an 'XL' frame as well.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking the same thing...if the only trade options I get are 20'' I figure that will be better than the 17.5''. Why would a medium Specialized standover height be larger than a large Giant? From the looks of it I should probably care more about a frame that will fit rather than the standover height...?

·
Never trust a fart
4,343 Posts
Regarding standover height comparisons, Specialized utilized a more down sweeping top tube vs. Giant.

Don't worry too much about standover. I'm just under 6'1", ride a 19"/LG frame Jamis Dragon and I "touch" the top tube when standing over the bike. But the reach when I'm riding is perfect.

Some bikes will have a higher stand over than others.

At 6'3", I'd recommend a 21"/XL frame. The Specialized will be a 21", the Giant will be the 22" - both XL.

Just test ride the bikes and pick the one that fits better when you are riding it, not standing over it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts