Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a ride for later this week in the midwest, but looking for some options.

Both my little bros are just discovering riding off road, and I want to show 'em some great flowing trail. Located about an hour and a half east of Chicago and looking for trails anywhere in a 4-5 hour drive.

Right now I'm thinking Brown County in Indiana, maybe Ft Custer in Michigan, but open for other suggestions.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

JmZ

· Time is not a road.
4,141 Posts
Fort Custer is good for the uninitiated. Poto might be too hard for first timers. I've never been to Yankee Springs, but it gets good reviews. TK Lawless is supposed to be riot, just south of Fort Custer in MI. Never ridden it though.

· Registered
3,856 Posts
Pawndream said:
Keep following Hwy. 12 and you'll have a little but fun place called Cam-Rock 4 south of Cambridge, WI. Head farther to the Madison area and there's the small but newly opened Quarry Ridge park in the Madison area. Go west on Hwy. 151 and you'll have Blue Mound State Park. BMSP has camping, pool, and the single largest ride of more challenging terrain in the area.

Now I'm talking about more than 4ish hours, but you could head north to Marquette, MI for serious riding no matter what your tasted are.

Have fun.

· Rides with Scissors
610 Posts
JmZ said:
Right now I'm thinking Brown County in Indiana, maybe Ft Custer in Michigan, but open for other suggestions.
As another hoosier... If you're staying in IN, I'd hit BCSP. Mostly b/c of the rain we've had come through (heavy splash'n'dash) and those trails drain and become rideable again pretty darn quick.

· Registered
26 Posts
So, where exactly are you? If you're going for a weekend, Fort Custer is the best. There are great campsites in the park, and great brew pubs in Battle Creek. TK Lawless is is about an hour and a half north of LaPorte, IN., about 10 miles of trails. Rum Village is in South Bend, which is a pretty cool little trail system for newbies and for advanced riders. Imagination Glen is a blast in Porter, as is Bluhm County park in Westville (only 5 miles of trail, but pretty flat). There are some trails in LaPorte (between Pine Lake and Stone Lake) which are pretty mellow, but I haven't been out there for a few years.

There's also Pontiac Lake Rec Area up by Detroit, but that's a few hours drive, and probably a little too technical for a newbie.

I grew up in LaPorte, IN, so if ya got any questions about the area, let me know!!

· Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Posting from WI

Ended up goin to Wisconsin.

Headed out today, and wanted to get to ride someplace dry. Checked out the weather forcast and the radar images for current and previous day. Ft Custer looked to be pounded with rain.

Forecast for Kikapoo, Brown Co, Versailles, and even Detroit didn't look too good. Heading up in WI though let me get north of some of the rain.

So I'll have a few pics later, and maybe even a ride report too. :)

Now time to check the forecast and trail descriptions for tomorrow!

Thanks all! It was a big help. And I was heading out of South Bend for those interested. Deanna, tell Alex sorry didn't make it down, but I should be there sometime this summer.

JmZ

JmZ said:
I'm setting up a ride for later this week in the midwest, but looking for some options.

Both my little bros are just discovering riding off road, and I want to show 'em some great flowing trail. Located about an hour and a half east of Chicago and looking for trails anywhere in a 4-5 hour drive.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

JmZ

· Rides with Scissors
610 Posts
JmZ said:
Thanks all! It was a big help. And I was heading out of South Bend for those interested. Deanna, tell Alex sorry didn't make it down, but I should be there sometime this summer.
It's currently a better weekend for canoeing trails than riding them...

Coming down for the HMBA century? There's rumors of Boultinghouse Rd possibly being added to the route. Just after lunch too for more enjoyment! A rode that goes up 235' in 1000' of vertical isn't steep is it? ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.