Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TL;DR
Freehub is sticking, trying to find a replacement one ASAP. LBS is slow on handling and I am scheduled to leave for a 5 day trip with the bike next Thursday. Bike is a Salsa Timberjack 29”.

First post, wish it was for something else. I finally decided to stop buying the big box store bikes this month and purchased a Salsa Timberjack Deore 29” a few weeks ago. I’ve put about 70 miles on it and love the bike. However this week the cassette started sticking when I stop pedaling causing the chain to pop off frequently. LBS will warranty it but they claim it’s not something they stock, dropped it off Tuesday and picked it up Wednesday and was told everything was in order. Got home and rode it down the street and instantly the chain came off, took it back and they looked at it again and said they need to contact Salsa for the part with 7-10 day lead time and they couldn’t order it til Thursday when business opens(lost two days because of this). I called Salsa and they said it was unique to the WTB wheel/hub and couldn’t give a part number. I’ve got the wheel down to the Freehub, I have to go buy a 12mm Allen wrench tomorrow to get the Freehub off as I was hoping to at least clean/regrease it to give it a shot but it looks very similar to most I’ve found online. Can anyone help me find a replacement part or let me know if there really is something unique about it? Will provide any additional info if needed.

Thanks

·
damned rocks...
2,640 Posts
Not to help you with the freehub, but to make a suggestion. Ask your LBS to lend you a rear wheel while you wait for the warranty, change the cassette and you are good to go. I bet they have a couple of used wheels you can borrow, or see if one of your friends has a spare wheel.

·
Registered
333 Posts
What type of freehub? Do you know the manufacturer and part number? If so, I would just order it online and that way you'll have a spare when the one the LBS ordered shows up. Hard to believe the only freehub available for that bike has to come from Salsa directly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.