Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ilsa
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a machine shop that does shot peening? I'd like to find one in FL so I can opt not to ship my frame there.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Look around North Palm area. There have been some on account of being near Pratt. Should also be a few near the Cape.

I doubt it will be a machine shop you want, probably a shop more focused on aerospace type stuff and familiar with shot peening aluminum.

Have you considered doing it yourself using a roto-peening tool

PK

·
Ilsa
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked between where I live and Orlando and couldn't find anything, though I'm sure they're out there. Definitely not into doing it myself.

The few I found based on what they advertized don't know what shot peening is or can't do it, and I don't feel like going through all the effort to ship the frame anywhere, so I'm just going to have it bead blasted. I'm not doing it for the metal strengthening qualities anyway.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
mrnvgtr said:
I'm not doing it for the metal strengthening qualities anyway.
These guys are the only ones I could find,
http://www.metalimprovement.com/
there were others but maybe with some of these downturns they stopped remaining certified on account of minimal work.

I'm confused, if not for strength, then why? Appearance?

Shot peened finish is not really a pretty look, nor is grit blasted. Neither have the feel or texture of a Ball Burnished if that is what you are looking to obtain.

PK

·
Ilsa
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PMK said:
These guys are the only ones I could find,
http://www.metalimprovement.com/
there were others but maybe with some of these downturns they stopped remaining certified on account of minimal work.

I'm confused, if not for strength, then why? Appearance?

Shot peened finish is not really a pretty look, nor is grit blasted. Neither have the feel or texture of a Ball Burnished if that is what you are looking to obtain.

PK
Correct, appearance. It's just the look I'm going for. Kind of hard to explain the look for this bike I have in my head. I just want an even textured look for the tube frame. It'll contrast nicely with the polished rear triangle I'm going to have. The rest of the bike will be a shade of black to gray, maybe CF. It's going to be as light as reasonably possible (within my financial means). My project thread in the VRC forum will be updated slowly with each step of progress if you're interested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts