Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have this Cannondale RZ One Twenty 4 which I recently upgraded some parts including the fork

It has a Shimano 9x3 I want to know if a bash guard like this one fits Raceface Fat Tab LW Bash Ring - FAT BIKES CANADA
The biggest ring only says Shimano Mega Drivetrain and I've been researching and apparently there aren't that many bashguards that will fit 3 ring configurations. Can anyone help me choos one that will fit and protect the biggest ring. I've seen that poeple often change the big ring for a bash guard but I use it a lot on descents, is there any way to keep it? Or will the derailleur won't be able to change gears anymore?

If there isn't a way to add a bash guard and keep the 3 rings is there a cassette I can buy so I can have a bigger gear ratio with only 2 rings in the front?

· Professional Crastinator
6,829 Posts
4-bolt bash ring?
You will have trouble finding anything bigger than 36-38.

You might find a 5-bolt Girvin Rock Ring that big (you'd need longer chainring bolts). But if you just replace your big ring with a bash ring, you will lose your top gears. When I did it, I replaced the big ring with a 36T bash ring and replaced the middle 32 ring with a 36 ring. That way I only lost a couple top gears and kept all my low gears. In fact, I bumped up to an 11-36 cassette so that my 36x36 gear was the same as my old 32x32 gear. It can get expensive if you want a higher gear in the back, and most "regular" rear derailleurs won't shift bigger than 36 teeth.

-F

· Registered
461 Posts
Check out BBG Bashguard: https://bbgbashguard.com/

They have quite a pretty big variety and depending on the BCD of your cranks and may have the size you're looking for.

I have ordered multiple bashguards from them in the past and while simple, they do a good job in protecting the chainrings.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.