Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a "Rhymes With Orange" Surly Karate (2017, I think?) that came stock with Salsa hubs and I recently ended up with the freehub freeing itself in both directions. I got inside and found one pawl broken in half and the other two pretty worn down.

My LBS wasn't able to identify a source for a new freehub body or for a new set of pawls. They were able to pull a set of pawls off of another hub that had died of other causes so I'm back up and running for now.

My concern, though, is that I have a history of not being kind and gentle with freehubs so it's probably a matter of time before this happens again and I want to be prepared if possible.

It's a Salsa branded hub but I believe it was actually made by Formula. I'm under the impression that Formula makes hubs that get sold under lots of different brand names so I suspect that somewhere out there, there has to be a source for either freehub bodies or pawls. Anyone know where I can find them? Or anyone know of other branded hubs that would use the same part so I can check for parts for those?

Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've got a "Rhymes With Orange" Surly Karate (2017, I think?) that came stock with Salsa hubs and I recently ended up with the freehub freeing itself in both directions. I got inside and found one pawl broken in half and the other two pretty worn down.

My LBS wasn't able to identify a source for a new freehub body or for a new set of pawls. They were able to pull a set of pawls off of another hub that had died of other causes so I'm back up and running for now.

My concern, though, is that I have a history of not being kind and gentle with freehubs so it's probably a matter of time before this happens again and I want to be prepared if possible.

It's a Salsa branded hub but I believe it was actually made by Formula. I'm under the impression that Formula makes hubs that get sold under lots of different brand names so I suspect that somewhere out there, there has to be a source for either freehub bodies or pawls. Anyone know where I can find them? Or anyone know of other branded hubs that would use the same part so I can check for parts for those?

Thanks!
I just put one of these on my Bucksaw with Salsa hubs. Works good...

https://www.jensonusa.com/Race-Face-XD-Freehub-Driver?avad=55963_b13af0101&rpi=41227&utm_medium=AVLK

1 - 2 of 2 Posts