Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Trek Fuel 70 from 2005 that I've never taken out beyond the driveway.

this bike:

Trek Bicycle

Its absolutely mint new and I had it tuned recently at a LBS. On the street its performing beautifully (shifting, braking.. suspension) I bought it when I lived in the city, and this year we moved to the country where there are lots of mountain trails and Im psyched to start enjoying the woods around my home. I live in the woods NE Pennsylvania and we have everything from trail riding to downhill literally in my backyard.

My question is, how does my Trek Fuel 70 (full suspension) compare to other bikes w/ Full Suspensions out now? Im noticing the market starts around $1500 for a Full Suspension bike. Thats alot of $$ considering I already have this bike. I am considering either keeping this bike, or moving to a Trek X-Caliber, Mamba, Stache 6 (hard tails)... or a Full Suspension. Fezzari makes a "Wiki Peak" for around $1350 w/ Full Suspension. The current Trek Fuel FS bikes are around $1900.

What do I have on my hands now? How far will it take me for trail riding and downhill?

Im an athletic adult in good condition and Ive been riding bikes all my life including motocross, -so I intend to beat on this bike.

Chuck it? trade it? Beat on it for a season? or upgrade now?

Thanks.

JT

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Just ride it for a solid six months, and see if it suits your trails, riding style and if it even imparts any fun factor. There is never any need to upgrade, if you are perfectly happy with it.

My guess is you will find it a bit heavy....but that is what makes us all stronger riders.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the reply. However, I am trying to size up the abilities of this bike relative to what is out there today in the Full Suspension range of bikes around $1000-$1500. How much more "bang" for my ride would I get? This bike was a decent contender in 2005... and how much more performance would I enjoy from todays FS bikes at $1000-$1500? Am I riding a 'relic' or is it still a contender?

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
I appreciate the reply. However, I am trying to size up the abilities of this bike relative to what is out there today in the Full Suspension range of bikes around $1000-$1500. How much more "bang" for my ride would I get? This bike was a decent contender in 2005... and how much more performance would I enjoy from todays FS bikes at $1000-$1500? Am I riding a 'relic' or is it still a contender?
In that case....it's a relic. Technology has advanced so much since 2005 that this bike would still be a great beginner rig. But once your skills improve, your confidence increases and fitness soars - you will soon yearn for something much lighter and smoother to operate than this.

I suggest you ride it in earnest, for a half season. Develop your skillset on it and if your riding ability improves, then start demoing newer, sub-$2000 bikes. If you feel the newer more technologically advanced bikes are more to your style and preferences.....off the Trek to a newbie wanting to get into this fine sport.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I started off on MUCH worse than that and did decent. I think it will be a pretty decent ride until you start doing gnarly trails.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
$300 on a 2005 Fuel 70 for a new 2014 Stache. Figure, a comparable 2014 Fuel Ex5 sells for $1750 new (good price too), then a 9 year old version in 'like new' shape -and I mean the Fuel 70 was immaculate shouldnt sell for over say $600-700 range? -And the bike shops got to turn a profit. So $300 was decent money, vs selling it myself BS.

Still, it raises a point for me about FS bikes and Hard Tails. That Fuel had a nice Rox Shox rear, and IMO there is no comparing the amount of power and responsiveness Im getting with the Hard Tail.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Instead of Going FS, Im going a Third Route: Hard Tail with a Hydraulic Dropper Seat. That way I have all the benefits of a Hard Tail on Smooth Terrain, and when **** gets choppy, technical or Down Hill -Drop the seat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts