Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm not sure if this is where i should put this or not, but this is where its going for now.

i forget what this is called, but when you stay in the same place on your back or front wheel. anyways i'm trying to learn this. i can wheelie up and down my street all day long and i can track stand forever, and i can bunnyhop while i'm trackstanding and so on and so on, but i just cannot balance on my back or front wheel very well without moving. i was wondering if anyone can help me out with this.

i've been working on riding and then tapping my front brake and getting up on my front wheel and balancing with out moving. i can stay up on that for a few seconds, but then i end up putting too much weight on one arm and my front wheel turns causing my bike to fall to the side or else i just fall back down.

i also try doing a trackstand on a slight uphill and then pull my front wheel off the ground, but if i don't pedal then i either lose my balance side to side, or i pull too far back and have to put my feet down, or i don't pull up enough and it goes right back down. i can't seem to get everything balanced out right.

should i stand up when i do this or should i be on my seat? usually when i wheelie i stay on my seat. should i do 1/2 a pedal stroke as i pull my front wheel up? should i keep my finger on the rear brake? i don't know, any help is appreciated.

after i get this i need to learn how to hop on just my back and front wheel. i'm starting to get it a little bit on my front wheel. i can balance for just a second and then hop on it but when i land my back wheel ends up going down to the ground.

·
Registered
962 Posts
sorry

I can barly pull a wheely for more then 4-5 pedal strokes...lol....but not to give you the run arround or anything, but try just posting the same thing under riding tips or general, they are always helpful. As we are here, but not exactly trails people to the extreme...

·
Registered
158 Posts
pysics. When your tire rotates you create rotational initrita. For example have you ever spun a your wheel and held onto it by the skewer? If you do it and try to turn it from the vertical axis to the horizontal or visa versa you will notice it takes an extra amont of force. This is because once it starts moving on the horizontal axis it wants to stay moving on that horizontal axis. Anyhow, that is also what keeps you up when you are going faster. So to stay on one tire w/o moving takes some major balance.

So basically, try doing it while moving, then do it slower and slower.

·
Chatham NJ
477 Posts
Ive been trying to back hop for a while. My friend picked it up first day he tried. Hopping on your front tire, thats pretty easy, I got it first try, so did two of my friends. Just do a kinda high endo, then push down and pull up, kinda like a pushup I guess, except you really push off the ground, enough to get you air.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well it can be a tad difficult at first. try starting with an small endo, just tap the front brake and move your weight forward. when you start coming back down, pull up on the bars and try hopping backwards on the back tire. Going backwards first helps you gain your balance on the rear tire. Master that and then start trying to stay in one place. After that you’re only a couple of quick pedal ratchets and brake modulation to being Jeff Lenosky. Hope I could help.

Ryan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.