Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a first gen Blur Carbon (black with silver stripe/lettering) and wanted to know if anyone did the conversion on this frame and what it took to get 'er done. I have a fox 100 front fork if that makes a difference.

I have read lots of posts, most mainly deal with the later gen Blur carbons that have a slightly different design (tapered headtube, etc.) and see mention of shims. If anyone can help me on this that would be great (and explain to me where/how to use shims if they are needed). Thanks for your help!

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
Page Hurricane Jeff he has a later version but may have more specifics on your model.

Also try an "advanced" search in 650 or Santa Cruz forums if you haven't already. I know sometimes it is a pain but work with the right criteria input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - most are on different Blurs and it is pretty confusing. I was just hoping someone has the same rig and has done it can walk my simple brain through the process.

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
Hah, I was just throwing out ideas. :) Pretty sure I've seen some of yours setup 650. Was researching heavily on an Epic or BXCc to do a conversion but the budget wouldn't allow. Have since picked up a SC Superlite and installed my 650 wheels which is working out pretty good considering the low(er) bb height in the stock 26" configuration.

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
yeah, raised the BB is one of the reason I want to do this . . .
Hhmm, I know the earlier (pre mid '07 I think) Superlights had that 'X' brace on the top of the seat stays that got in the way. I'm wondering what the rear triangle difference is on the earlier Blurs like you have is. Like I said Hurricane Jeff may see this thread and add some info.

·
BMF
593 Posts
In addition to finding someone that converted your model/variant of Blur you'll need to find someone that converted the same size frame as for some cases the frame size would impact rear wheel clearance.

The sure-fire test is to borrow a couple 27.5 wheels from someone and see if they fit in your Blur. Let all the air out of your shock and cycle the suspension with a 27.5 back there and see if you contact or come really close to the seat tube, and or can't spin the wheel due to interference with some other part of the rear triangle.

Fox forks from that era were hit or (mostly) miss from what I recall, so that would be a quick check too to fit a wheel and see. If you can fit a wheel easily in the rear but the fork won't work then you have the option of fitting a newer fork that is known to take 27.5 wheels if you still want to try the conversion. Sorry to not have more definitive info for you, but honestly even if someone here swore up and down they did the same conversion and posted pics wouldn't you still want to try 27.5s in your frame first just in case? Unless you are in some backwater I gotta think there is at least one bike shop around with a couple 27.5 bikes on the floor that would let you check wheel fit if you brought your bike in with a sixer of cold beers...

·
Registered
68 Posts
With the fork the Fox will fit a narrow 27.5 tyre. As for the rear wheel though, you'll more than likely need to short shock it to prevent the rear tyre buzzing the front mech cable guide. Pretty easy to do, something similar to a plastic washer underneath the bump stop will do with Fox shocks.
I have the same model Blur, love the way it rides with 27.5 but aren't fully confident with treating the rear end too harshly yet.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Sorry I'm not of much help with your particular year Blur carbon, although if you scan through this forum( look at 650b picture thread) I'm sure you'll see one, I believe I have.
I have a 2012 and the conversion worked without any shims or modifications. Although there are now 27.5 bikes similar( although SC doesn't have one yet) in travel and function to my Blur, this bike is so awesome in about any condition, I can't see replacing it with a dedicated 27.5" bike anytime soon, like I've said in the past, I believe my bike is better as a 27.5" bike than it ever was as a 26" bike.
Good luck with your build, when you do find out about it working or not, and have any questions in regard to the conversion( or need any parts) let me know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts