Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I just got pretty excited about the easton bars you had suggested but unfortunately they only have them in 685mm. Same deal with the seatpost, they dont have it in 30.9mm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I looked a little bit more into the Ashima ai2 rotors and am pretty worried about stopping power. Im a pretty aggressive rider and often get into the mid to high 20s on descents. Anyone have any input? Obviously the weight is unbeatable but if they're not gonna perform how I want them to then I will gladly go with something else that will.

Are the kcnc rotors the same deal as the ashimas? They seem a little bit beefier to me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just picked up a new Renthal Carbon Fatbar Lite with 140mm width and 10mm rise for 120 bucks shipped. Weight savings will be 93 grams. Removing the bashguard saved 66g

·
No. Just No.
5,275 Posts
Just picked up a new Renthal Carbon Fatbar Lite with 140mm width
At 140mm width at least you won't have to worry about clipping any trees at the side of the trails. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If the stem is really 120g it is already pretty light.
Should have snapped a pic when I weighed it. Now that i'm looking at weights of other stems it is pretty surprising that it weighs 125g. It and the bars i'm currently using came off my dads Specialized Crave Comp.

·
Cactus Cuddler
1,818 Posts
Don't commit until you've tried a dropper. That's something I've found is worth a weight penalty to me on any FS bike. That is a pretty solid deal on it, but it would still be a random unused part if you move to a dropper.

That cockpit will be usable on your next bike too, so that's money not wasted - just realize that there's still an average of around $0.50/g where spending more than that for weight savings in your price range there are theoretically higher efficiency areas to save weight (although this is a greenspace calculation, usually comparing parts without a sunk cost).
So far you're ahead of that, by a good bit, I'd just try and ride it a lot to see what areas you're really noticing a difference, and where the gains you're seeing in Excel aren't becoming seconds or smiles on the trail.

·
ACHOO
4,443 Posts
The problem with the dropper is that adding one would probably cancel out any of the savings he's working on to date. I'm not saying it wouldn't be useful for him, but it's not something typically in the mix if you are trying to shed weight.

·
Cactus Cuddler
1,818 Posts
It would probably cancel out all of it and then some - but it is an added capability and mostly enables an ideal pedaling position or attack position depending on trail conditions, and since the rider weight is still ~5x the bike weight, being able to move the center of mass around and also set up the anemic (compared to a moto) powerplant on a bicycle for success usually means more speed... I'm putting that out there as something to consider, or at least look into. I know for myself I'm happy with a bike that's a whole pound heavier because instead of weight savings I shoveled that money into a KS Lev DX, but something more XC oriented then lightweight cockpit parts are going to be a much better performance expenditure. All rider preference, coupled with how much time is spent on the saddle versus in/out of the saddle.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Easiest way to save weight: drop the 29 and go back to 26. Bingo: you just saved a pound of rotating weight! ;)

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
but that's itty bitty nobody wants to ride a 26" rotating weight.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks for the suggestion on the dropper but on this bike to me its unnecessary, and like mentioned it would be anti weight weenie.
I ended up ordering the Ashima Ai2 rotors and have wishlist filled up on chainreaction for when my paycheck comes in next friday. Will update when stuff starts coming.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts