Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Permanent Noob
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out for a ride today and I started hearing a noise from the rear wheel - a bit of a grinding I'd say. It only happens when I'm coasting, seems to be 2x per wheel revolution, speeds up when I backpedal. When I got back to the house, I removed the rear wheel, I can reproduce the sound with the wheel off, but only when I spin the cassette. I can hear/feel it once per revolution. I can't detect anything when I spin the axle itself.

Haven't done much of my own repairs to date, not to mention troubleshooting. I'm thinking it is an issue in the freehub, but I figured I'd get some opinions from those of you who may have experienced this sort of issue before.

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can give,

·
Permanent Noob
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah - don't know how I overlooked that!

It's a Shimano Nexave FH-C501. Came on a cheap set of wheels I use to swap semi-slicks on for street/hardpack riding. Took it over some rougher stuff today, making me think I may have pushed it a bit too far?

·
Permanent Noob
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just finished - it seems as though if not totally eliminated, I've at least cut down on the issue signaifcantly. I may go back in once more just to check the hub adjustment. Moral of the story - print the reference BEFORE you get covered up to your wrist in grease! Secon time around it'll go a lot faster though and I know I can use the practice.

Thanks again for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.