Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am torn between full suspenion and hardtail. I am 33 years old and 6' 0" and about 240. I used to ride aggresively years ago and use to love to ride Northstar in Lake Tahoealog with all the local trails around Ventura, CA. I would like to get back in shape with the intention of heading to Northstar again in the spring. Initially I will be riding some street to increase stamina. I live on the top of a hill so every ride away from my house will end in a climb which will probably get me ready for the trails pretty quick.

So the dilema is whether or not to just pony up for a full suspension or stick with a hardtail untill I get my riding legs under me.

I am really interested in the Felt Compulsion 2 because fo the revues of the peddling characteristics of the bike. I also think it makes more sense to spend the money once and get something that will do everything I need it to do. Then again maybe a hardtail for XC stuff and some street and save up for a full suspension further down the road. Please give me your thoughts and I would even appreciate some suggetions as I intend to ride some diffrent bikes tomorrow and can use some help on what to ride.

Thanks Juan

·
Registered
84 Posts
If your goal is mountain biking, I would highly recomend a FS, for trail riding. I enjoy riding my hard tail every once in a while on the trails, but I can't ride it as often because I get too beat up on it, but I am 46 years old also. I also get beat up on my FS bike sometimes as well. FS is just so much nicer on drops, and really rocky, rutty terrain. I am sure there are plenty of guys my age that love riding hard tails all the time but I just can't. I love the suspension too much. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Depends on what you're really going to use it for the most, in the long run....Street or Dirt?

Mostly street with a few laps in the dirt every once in a while... hard tail.
Mostly dirt with a little street thrown in there ...... FS.

I'm now going on 38, I've been riding since I was 19. I still have a hard tail, but never use it... ever. never. I never ride on the street either.

It's just so much more enjoyable to ride, without feeling beat up at the end. Tired, but not beat up. Having said that, don't waste your money on a FS, if you're only going to end up riding it around the neighborhood..... got to do a self-check on that, cause the FS is not going to be great on asphalt... doable, but not efficient.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the replies. Ultimately I will be riding trails on this bike. I plan to use the street in order to get my stamina back up, but I find regular street riding boring. So the dirt is where my hart is at. I did go out today and bought a Felt Compulsion 2. I really liked the way this bike felt (no pun intended). So I cannot wait to get it (they had to order it, I test road a 3) and hit the trails.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.