Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all im in the market for a new bicycle I have been reading reviews and threads and rode a bunch at my LBS I have now narrowed it down to either a 5010 C or the Bronson C I ride my local spots where I live in Santa Cruz, Ca like Nicene marks, wilder ranch, soquel demo nothing really to crazy lots of fire road single track type of stuff I like to drop off stuff no bigger than 4' I like to air off roots logs or whatever I can but I don't hit dirt jumps I guess my style is cross country/tail I also enjoy smashing downhill as fast as I possibly can

I have read most of the differences and im leaning towards the Solo because it seems like i will benefit from it more in my area but still have a few concerns before committing to it
I am about 5'10" 240 pounds I am defiantly a big boy but Im also 22 and would love to ride off some weight hopefully
I rode a LG and I just felt too heavy for the bike the way the BB is alittle lower to the ground and the inch of less travel my biggest question is will I be too much for this suspension I don't want to be scraping peddles or my BB I planned on getting a complete bike with the starting baseline kit they offer

on the other hand the LG Bronson was a great bike felt solid I just felt to propped upright especially in my back no matter where the saddle was but I probably have horrible posture I also feel the Bronson might be able to do everything the SOLO can do plus some and i don't want to limit my riding abilities i will only have this one bike and have it for a long time so I must choose wisely so my head is just spinning trying to decide what one to choose thanks for your time appreciate any help

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm 6'2" and about 230 and ride my XL Blur TRc as aggressively as I can. These bikes are stronger than you think, I wouldn't worry too much about your weight on the Solo. Just be sure you set up the suspension correctly...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool @bnorthro that's what I was thinking and wanting to hear

if there are any other bigger fellas out there riding a solo or something similar or if you have any input here id appreciate it thanks again.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,596 Posts
Lots of big guys riding SC carbon frames....not really an issue.

My understanding is that none of the frames have weight limits......so choose one and go for it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'll add that I've had my TRc for about 18 months now and you get used to the low bottom bracket (I'm running 175mm cranks as well). I live in So Cal and it's not really an issue for me. I've ridden Demo Forest and Nicene Marks in Santa Cruz and it was a blast. I took a trip last year to Moab & Fruita and if I was regularly riding technical, chunky trails like that the low BB would likely be annoying after a while.

Anyways, both bikes are great from what I've heard (my riding group consists of me on a TRc, one guy on a Solo, and one on a Bronson). The TRc/Solo is much more capable than the numbers suggest when descending. I'm running mine with a 140mm fork and I like it setup that way. I think my riding has improved a lot since riding the shorter travel bike (I had a Tracer VP before). I'm much more active on the descents, pumping the trail, popping over things, etc.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Congrats! Its nice living in SC as three shops carry SC bikes. If you don't like one a 10 minute ride gets you to the next one!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am 5'11" and was 210 lbs prior to purchasing my Tallboy LTc (Size Large)

I am now at 180 lbs...and in the similar situation looking to get the 5010c or BronsonC.

I am leaning towards the Bronson simply because it could do a tad bit more on the descends, either way you cant go wrong. My former proXC friends are convinced the 5010 is more than enough bike than what we ride, but I appreciate the travel.

I am sure you already read this comparison, aint the best but highlights a few things:

Santa Cruz 5010 vs. Bronson | Guns at a Knife Fight | Competitive Cyclist

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm 6'1" and about 220 pounds riding an XL sized 5010c. For the trails around me this is more than enough bike, and I decided on the 5010 because it is supposedly a better climber than the Bronson. I haven't ridden a Bronson, but I can say that the 5010 climbs amazingly well, and I'm confident chucking it into fairly chunky descents as well.

You can't go wrong with either one, just depends on what kind of riding you do. If you ride mostly with shuttle service, the Bronson might be the way to go. If you like to or have to climb, probably the 5010.

·
Registered
12,649 Posts
For the trails you describe I would go 5010..... well, in fact, I did go 5010. The main reason I went that way was because I wanted more separation from my 160mm AM/F bike.

Having said that, the new crop of 140-150mm 27.5" bikes like the Bronson, Troy, Mach 6 etc are very very good all-rounders. You wouldn't give up much on the fast flowy stuff on one of these compared to the 5010.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

I am now at 180 lbs...and in the similar situation looking to get the 5010c or BronsonC.
I was in a similar situation too and went with the Bronson. We are close to the same size (I'm 6' 175lb) and I am a good fit for a large.

Like KRob I wanted some separation but in my case I wanted to get away from my previous 120mm Trek Fuel EX.

I don't have the issues climbing that others report most of the time, because I have a dual-position 160mm Pike. It does turn up sometimes when I get into trails with a combination of short punchy climbs and short steep descents and I don't really have time to reach down and switch it to 130mm travel. I have to adjust body position in those situations to keep the front from wandering.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts

I am leaning towards the Bronson simply because it could do a tad bit more on the descends, either way you cant go wrong. My former proXC friends are convinced the 5010 is more than enough bike than what we ride, but I appreciate the travel.

I am sure you already read this comparison, aint the best but highlights a few things:

Santa Cruz 5010 vs. Bronson | Guns at a Knife Fight | Competitive Cyclist
I would say a lot depends on your riding style and what you want out of the bike given the terrain you plan to ride it mostly. FWIW, I was pretty much dead set on getting a 5010c to complement my heavier duty AM bike (Banshee Rune). I came very close to ordering one from LBS this winter, but wanted to make sure I ride one first. On my annual trip to Sedona, I didn't take my bike with me for the first time and rented as many bikes as I could, two being a 5010 and Bronson. Although, Sedona riding is totally different from what I ride most (PacNW singletrack), in Sedona you are constantly pedalling up and down most of the time of various technical rock pitches interspersed with smoother, bufffed single trail sections. Immediately, the 5010 didn't feel right to me for some reason. I found myself having to work a bit harder than I thought I would have to up climbs and on descents. And, the suspension felt really dead, somewhat harsh to me (almost 30% sag). After 1 hr of riding mixed up/down flowy terrain, I decided it wasn't really working for me as well as I thought it would and returned it. I grabbed a Bronson (with same basic alloy R kit) with a warn out rear tire. The Bronson immediately felt comfortable to me while on the bike going up/down sections. Although, the bike was a little heavier (could tell some), I was able to make harder, techy climbs easier and suspension felt better to me overall. Like it was digging and working better to get up the climb sections with less impact. The small bump was better and obviously descended much better to me as well. Overall, the Bronson feels very neutral (good) in geometry that is not too slack or steep, but just about right while riding mixed up/down trails. The 5010c's geometry and suspension feel just didn't to it for me, even though it is touted as the better climber and general trail bike. It took 2 months for me to finally get my Bronson frame and had it built to my specs last weekend. I have over 18,000ft of gain/loss on mixed singletrack trails in past week and handles most everything very well. Gets a little overwhelmed in more DH speed, steeper kind of stuff due to neutral geometry, but nails it on the head for aggressive trail bike for me. Just today, I managed to ride 23 miles and 6,000ft of climb/descent on all single style backcountry trails and the the Bronson owned it. Adjustable fork is nice for climbs though and puts geometry similar to 5010 stock. When I ride my local XC flow trails, I lower the fork to 120 for a lower BB and bike hugs the turns nicely while still not feeling too steep. 150 front/back for trail slaying though!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I was in the same boat as the OP but since I live is AZ and knew I wanted a bike with more travel I went with the Bronson. If you don't need more travel I wouldn't pick the Bronson but like jgusta stated it is an amazing climber unlike anything else I have ridden. Have fun shopping

1 - 13 of 13 Posts