Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the '06 Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0 and the '06 Rocky Mountain ETSX-10. Have ridden both and like them both (each has it own advantages).

For a 225 lb PA-trail rider, do you think either would have durability issues? I ride all types of trails, but most around here in PA are very rocky and technical. Thanks!

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
Nice decision to have to make. Both are nice bikes...the XLT's are generally great bang for the buck...in fact I was looking at one when I was getting a new bike this spring. For me, I found that I just didn't like the cockpit feel (but that's just me).

Rockies are known for being nice...expensive, but nice. I almost picked one up a few years back but the sticker shock was something else.

Myself, now that the swingarm issue has been dealt with, I'd say the XLT is probably a wee bit beefier but I don't think it is quite as good in the agility / technical ability department. I guess it is a compromise between the two design philosophies. That being said, at 225lbs, you could likely go for either and get years of good service out of them without issues in durability.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i bought the rockymountain element 50 for two reasons. one is my friend has one and he is 6'3 240 and the reviews i read said it is good for climbing and also good for us bigger riders. i am 6'0 215 now but 235 at the time i bought it. all the reviews said very sturdy and strong built. i can say that the bike can take the abuse although im not a hardcore rider but a few 2foot drops here and there and over rocks and everything else. my element gives e confidence when im going down steep hills with the brakes easing so i dont skid. i bought mine on ebay and it was a great purchase that i dont regret. mine is a 19" and i can make some tight downhill and uphill switchbacks. thats my 2cents.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.