Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help create an interval list

22K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Island20v 
#1 ·
I would like to create a document of our most beloved interval workouts, and maybe we can sticky it on this board as well. I've done some searches for interval lists, and think we can come up with anything better that I can find online.
You may enjoy doing them. You may despise doing them, but you do them because they work. They may be done on the trainer, the road, or the trail.
I would recommend that because not everyone trains with power (or of course at the same power level), it might be a good idea to avoid describing them like: 3 sets at 290 watts
I think it would also be helpful for other readers if we describe where we use them in our training plans. The more info the better.

I do this workout when I am starting to build base on the bike (Dec/Jan), in place of lifting weights. I complete this on a local road climb on my SS mtb. I start with 4 sets in a workout, and work my way up to 6 or more sets in a workout.
*10 min Warm-up ride to the climb
*5 minute tempo (Zone 3 HR) climb at 50-60 cadence, lot of resistance!
*1 minute at about 80% effort
*3-4 minute tempo (Zone 3 HR) climb at 50-60 cadence, lot of resistance!
*10-15 all out sprint at the top of the climb
*4 minute rest on the ride back down
*Repeat

See less See more
#3 ·
Great!

mtbcoach_co said:
I have a few that can add to your list. These are still being tuned for better reading and comprehension.

http://mtbcoach.com/?page_id=5
Thanks for helping me get the tire rolling. Can you put them into the body of a message when you are finished (versus a link)?
Brian

#5 ·
Simple and Effective:

Aerobic Power:
15 minute steady w.p.
3x2 minutes @75, 80, 85% respectively with 2 minutes recovery between each.
5 minutes easy.
4x4 minutes @90-100% with 4 minutes rest between each.
15 minute w.d.

#8 ·
Lol, mine seems very simple compared to this. I think it still counts as interval workout...

It consists of cycling the 2 miles to the steepest local hill warming up on the way.

Honk it up the hill (about 1km of 8%), spin for a min round the top, have fun going over the curves back down that make you feel weightless.

Rinse and repeat.

It generally takes me a few repeats to warm up properly so need to think about doing something with that. Works well for me in general though. And puzzles other people when I pass them twice on the same hill =)

#9 ·
Friel's blog

Right over the plate!

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/blog.html

Pasted below for ease of use:
(These are referenced by Joe Friel in his blog)

WORKOUTS
Aerobic endurance intervals

Purpose: Improve cardiovascular system
RPE: 4-5
HR Zone: 2
Power Zone: 2
Pace Zone: 2
Workout: 3 x 20 minutes with 5 minute easy recoveries
Comments: Keep cadence comfortably high

Tempo intervals
Purpose: Improve muscular endurance
RPE: 6
HR Zone: 3
Power Zone: 3
Pace Zone: 3
Workout: 3 x 10 minutes with 3 minute easy recoveries
Comments: Cadence slightly lower than normal or 2% uphill on a treadmill

Threshold intervals
Purpose: Improve ability to process and remove acid build up and lift lactate threshold as a percentage of aerobic capacity
RPE: 7
HR Zone: 4-5a
Power Zone: 4
Pace Zone: 4-5a
Workout: 3 x 6 minutes with 2 minute easy recoveries
Comments: Cadence at comfortable level. May be done on a 'hill.'

Anaerobic endurance intervals
Purpose: Improve aerobic capacity
RPE: 8-9
HR Zone: 5b
Power Zone: 5-6
Pace Zone: 5b
Workout: 5 x3 minutes with 3 minute easy recoveries
Comments: Keep cadence comfortably high, focus on technique

Speed skills intervals
Purpose: Improve economy
RPE: 8-9
HR Zone: not applicable
Power Zone: not applicable
Pace Zone: not applicable
Workout: 6-8 x 20 seconds with 90 seconds of easy spin/walk recoveries between intervals
Comments: Focus is entirely on one single aspect of technique such as run foot strike or pedaling through 12 o'clock position. Movement is fast at high cadence.

Anaerobic capacity intervals
Purpose: Improve power
RPE: 10
HR Zone: not applicable
Power Zone: 7
Pace Zone: 5c
Workout: 3 sets of 3 x 12 revolutions (count right foot 12 times) with 3 minute easy recoveries between intervals and 6 minutes between sets
Comments: These are essentially sprints. Form must be perfect or injury is possible.

#10 ·
This is helpful as I am new to racing and looking for some direction. I read about intervals a few months ago and have been doing the following pyramid intervals:

10 min, warm up

1 minute 90% effort
1 minute recover

2 minutes at 80%
2 minute recovery

3 minutes 70%
3 minutes recovery

I then do the 2 & 1 minute deal again, warm down & done.

I just got a HRM for Christmas, and LOVE it, just got it dialed in this week and find it very helpful so far.

#12 ·
tjkm said:
This is helpful as I am new to racing and looking for some direction. I read about intervals a few months ago and have been doing the following pyramid intervals:

10 min, warm up

1 minute 90% effort
1 minute recover

2 minutes at 80%
2 minute recovery

3 minutes 70%
3 minutes recovery

I then do the 2 & 1 minute deal again, warm down & done.

I just got a HRM for Christmas, and LOVE it, just got it dialed in this week and find it very helpful so far.
You should be able to do 70% effort (or Max HR or FTPower) for hours! If you're doing these sort of Intervals, just pick the effort you can barely maintain for the length of the interval. iow, Perceived Effort

#15 ·
Are we talking about future intervals or intervals for right now, because if we are talking about interval training for right now, then I'm really confused at a lot of the suggestions in here.

I am reading a lot of people stating 80-90 percent of max heart rate, which translate to aerobic and nearly anaerobic thresholds. I am also reading "harder intensity." which totally goes against what BASE training really is.

Rythym and tempo rides are one thing, but pushing the numbers above does not build base, it's closer along the lines of building vo2 and lactate thresholds. Building vo2 is awesome and is crucial for racing; however, if you're going for BASE, then you guys should reconsider those numbers.

Those numbers look fairly good for more serious interval training, when you're turning up intensity, and closer to the actual race season. Too much too soon will get you nowhere quickly.

#20 ·
2 minutes at 80%
2 minute recovery

3 minutes 70%
3 minutes recovery
I was talking about the above.

80% is zone 3, the "norm" in sone 3 intervals is 8mins minumum.

70% is zone2, normaly used in betwwen intervals and as a mix on steady easy and loong rides.

I personaly train to be better in a race and I never see 70% in a race, and 90% is normaly 80% or above.

Considering that my normal race is 2-2.5 hrs, 2 mins at 70% just isnt going to help. 3-4 hrs, then maybe.

I know a few fella`s that only train 4x4, 3-4 times a week all winter and cycle long easy rides a few weeks before the races start and do very well.

Here is a chart of one of these based on average watt during his 4x4 interval sessions this winter.

The numbers at the bottom indicate which interval, watt on the left.

I have always been a sceptical but if he is faster than he was last year I`ll be jumping on the bandwagon next year.

Is it realy that simple?? A 50w+ progress in a winter is amazing.

#21 ·
Fair enough guys, I'm in the SF/Nevada City so I'm in the same boat, I might even be at the CCCX race.

Personally, I'm still another 2-3 weeks of base and cross training before I start doing some harder intensity training.

Often times, I feel like half way through the season, I blow out wayyyy to quickly. I'm good for 2-3 hour rides, and anything after that I'm feeling like i'm running on reserves.

This year I'm going to really stick to my base, so I can have a longer sustainable season.

My first race this year, will probably be the Cool Classic, so i'm about 7 weeks out which gives me plenty of time to base and increase intensity.

Good luck at CCCX and to everyone else starting an early season!

#22 ·
This stuff is interesting, and I quickly realize how much I DON'T know about this segment of riding. The info I posted above is something I found online a few weeks ago.

I need to go back and re-examine the article, because I am probably wrong on the 70 & 80%.

#23 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to xc racing (one season of high school races under my belt) but we had a terrible training program and I really want to step it up. Can someone explain some of the different terms? power levels and such? i know what cadence is but otherwise im extremely lost. thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.