Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Bought a Monocog but the SS just not working out for me.

I saw a post (ihatemybike) that suggested the below as the best method to go geared on a monocog assuming this will make a 1x3?

Revell Chain Tug/Mech Hanger = $28
Sram X.7 Derailer & Shift Combo @ Price Point = $90
Sram Powerglide II PG950 Cassette to take apart and use 3 cogs = $25

1. I can not find the Revell Chain Tug listed anywhere online
2. Am I going to need any tools besides wrench's/allens/screwdrivers to convert this?
3. Want to save a couple bucks and would prefer to get all the stuff from the same place.
4. Is this the best bang for your buck method to convert a monocog 29er?

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
I believe DMR also makes a Chain tensioner with a derailleur hanger buillt in - might be easier to find than the Revell.

Also - look into that Shimano Tourney rear derailleur option - Cloxxki could provide more details.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Feclar said:
Hi,

Bought a Monocog but the SS just not working out for me.

I saw a post (ihatemybike) that suggested the below as the best method to go geared on a monocog assuming this will make a 1x3?

Revell Chain Tug/Mech Hanger = $28
Sram X.7 Derailer & Shift Combo @ Price Point = $90
Sram Powerglide II PG950 Cassette to take apart and use 3 cogs = $25

1. I can not find the Revell Chain Tug listed anywhere online
2. Am I going to need any tools besides wrench's/allens/screwdrivers to convert this?
3. Want to save a couple bucks and would prefer to get all the stuff from the same place.
4. Is this the best bang for your buck method to convert a monocog 29er?
Checkout Cambria for a shifter and derailleur. You can pickup a right hand shifter for $10 and a derailleur for around $30 I think. The cassette is a little more there though. No idea on the hanger.

That Hone derailleur looks pretty cool....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Some guy from Redline posted a pic in one of the threads around here of his setup with a Saint der on his MC 29. I'll look for it again. Looked like a sweet setup.

I wouldn't mind hearing from him what he did and how its working....

·
Registered
287 Posts
slim_pickens said:
Ridiculous.

For a bulletproof solution, try a Hone derailler.

Hone derailler: $65
187mm tandem axle: $15
15mm axle nut: $3
Shimano shifter: $?
You could use this shifter ($6.95) or something like it in friction mode for this setup, if you want less than 9 gears. I thought about going this route as well.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally got a day off and a chance to ride offroad today
(I bought bike last saturday and work Sun-Wed)

Man SS offroad is alot of fun dont have to think or mess around with gears I really liked it, the 20T is so so offroad, I was climbing hills I was not able to in the past (not sure if its the bike or my endurance increase, had not been to this loop for a few weeks).

Now im wondering if I should just keep it SS, for the commute the SS is not so great but I loved it offroad.

Would it be a pain to add maybe a 16T or 18T with a spacer and keep the 20T and just mess with the allen bolt tensioner doohickey? This would give me 2 gears and can switch manually in like 1-10mins (?) I could Transform [tm] to Commuter (for work) or Offroad (for weekends)?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Will the Saint/Hone work on a long axle like that? I was under the impression that it was threaded to except a thru axle.

Revell stuff is distributed through Greasy Comb Distribution. Any quality bike shop should be able to order it for you.

Feclar, I agree that 20t would be horrible for commuting. I have't used mine ever. I switched to a 16t right away. Great gear for the dirt here in Illinois, and OK for commuting. I can average about 16.5 mph with it. I've been playing with a 14t for commuting and it really hasn't helped my average speed that much. My best avg with it has been 17.5 mph, but I'm hoping to get stronger and faster with it.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
I'd say it might be easier and cheaper to do the dual cogs in back vs trying to make it a three speed with a derailleur hanger etc. etc.

Use the 20T for the trails and a 16T or something like that for commuting duty and just switch back and forth.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ihatemybike said:
Feclar, I agree that 20t would be horrible for commuting. I have't used mine ever. I switched to a 16t right away. Great gear for the dirt here in Illinois, and OK for commuting. I can average about 16.5 mph with it. I've been playing with a 14t for commuting and it really hasn't helped my average speed that much. My best avg with it has been 17.5 mph, but I'm hoping to get stronger and faster with it.
Yikes, im averaging 13mph with the 20t on the commute which has alot of flats, I can hamster to 24-25 with it but my normal cadence is around 12-14mph was hopeing switching to a 16 or 18 would let me do closer to 17-18mph

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MMcG said:
I'd say it might be easier and cheaper to do the dual cogs in back vs trying to make it a three speed with a derailleur hanger etc. etc.

Use the 20T for the trails and a 16T or something like that for commuting duty and just switch back and forth.
Please confirrm that to do the manual switch I just need to mess with the chain tension bolts so it would be like a less then 10m deal?
I think this may be my best roung

<15$ for a 2nd cog and prolly a few bucks for a spacer?

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
Feclar said:
Please confirrm that to do the manual switch I just need to mess with the chain tension bolts so it would be like a less then 10m deal?
I think this may be my best roung

<15$ for a 2nd cog and prolly a few bucks for a spacer?
Watch your chainline if you're thinking of having 2 cogs in back with a single ring up front.

OGG

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
saint rear hub on a monocog 29er

I have installed a saint rear deralyer on my monocog 29er also there are pictures that I will find. I did have some problems at first.

The first couple times I rode it I had problems keeping the wheel tight in the dropouts. the rear axle that I recieved with it was allitle long, I could tighten it as tight as possible and it would run out of room. I added a couple washers and now it works great. There is also a piece that sets the deralyer in one postion in the dropout. This position allows the deralyer to slap the chainstay over big bumps.

I also noticed this morning that we sell a sunrace derailleur hanger bracket this also works on the rear end of the monocog it is a bolt on rear deralyer hanger. Also this morning I tryed putting 3 gears on the stock monocog hub. So if someone really wanted they could hook up a 3 speed on a stock monocog for fairly cheep.

deralyer hanger... around 2.00
deralyer from 20. and up
shifter and cable. right hand only 15. and up
redline bmx cogs (steel, aluminum, ti) starting at 5.each
7-8 speed spacers 2.00

pics of saint install can be found by searching my name or looking at the 3 piece bmx crank area.
Dain
Redline warranty

with the hone install I am thinking you will need the rear hub also!!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
How about a bigger ring?

I use to commute with my Bianchi SISS during the week with a Salsa 44 tooth ring up front. When it was time for dirt on the weekend it was an easy switch back to the 32 tooth ring. All I needed extra was the 44 tooth ring, a spare Sram pc-58 chain with power link and chain ring nut tool. Worked great and once I had the chain tension figured out it only took a few minutes to make the swap.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.