Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys! Can i get some of your inputs on which is a better choice for my Project Wheel Build.
My choices are Chris King ISO Disc OR HOPE Bulb Hubs.
I know both are great product but i have to choose only ONE! :)

(This will laced on MAVIC XM819 and DT Revolution Spokes)

I hope you can help me on this.

Happy New Year To All Of You!!!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Znarf, I have the same rims and DT Comp spokes, and I went with the CK hubs. Unbelievable wheelset. Bulletproof, very little flex, not too heavy, and relatively easy to get tubeless tires on and off. The CK hubs feel solid and are easy to maintain and adjust. The almost instant engagement makes it much easier to maneuver at low speeds and track stand (not that I'm great at it anyway). What really sold me was CK's reputation for good workmanship (you'll know when you see one) and CS. To be honest though, I haven't had to use it. Knock on wood...

All that being said, it just depends on what you want. Both hubs come made for QR axles, and both can be converted to 20 mm setups in front if that's important to you. The CK's will be a little lighter (~500 g compared to 555 g) and have more engagement points (72 versus 36), but they'll also cost almost double what the Hopes cost. Another thing to consider is the noise, everyone seems to prefer the engagement noise of particular hubs over others. I personally couldn't care less. Oh yeah, I think the Bulbs come with a titanium housing. Not sure if that really does much for you, but there ya go.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
TLud said:
Both hubs come made for QR axles, and both can be converted to 20 mm setups in front if that's important to you. .
That's incorrect. The King QR hub cannot be converted to 20mm.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Noisy & Engagement

TLud said:
Znarf, I have the same rims and spokes, and I went with the CK hubs. Unbelievable wheelset. Bulletproof, very little flex, not too heavy, and relatively easy to get tubeless tires on and off. The CK hubs feel solid and are easy to maintain and adjust. The almost instant engagement makes it much easier to maneuver at low speeds and track stand (not that I'm great at it anyway). What really sold me was CK's reputation for good workmanship (you'll know when you see one) and CS. To be honest though, I haven't had to use it. Knock on wood...

All that being said, it just depends on what you want. Both hubs come made for QR axles, and both can be converted to 20 mm setups in front if that's important to you. The CK's will be a little lighter (~500 g compared to 555 g) and have more engagement points (72 versus 36), but they'll also cost almost double what the Hopes cost. Another thing to consider is the noise, everyone seems to prefer the engagement noise of particular hubs over others. I personally couldn't care less. Oh yeah, I think the Bulbs come with a titanium housing. Not sure if that really does much for you, but there ya go.
Really! which is noisier and which of the HUB has that 72 engagement?

Thanks!!!

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Hi Guys! Can i get some of your inputs on which is a better choice for my Project Wheel Build.
My choices are Chris King ISO Disc OR HOPE Bulb Hubs.
I know both are great product but i have to choose only ONE! :)

(This will laced on MAVIC XM819 and DT Revolution Spokes)

I hope you can help me on this.

Happy New Year To All Of You!!!
Happy new year buddy

Either hub is a great choice the Kings might be dearer but worth it IMO but you won't be disapointed in the Hopes they make a very nice hub and would make a nice wheelset the new Ti stuff pro 2s are supposed to be great:thumbsup:

The kings for me still have it in there ring drive esspecially after a few years of use thats when they really come to life, I use them as my lightweight wheelset now but they took some abuse when I had them laced to heavier rims, the rear (ISO) can be converted to 10mm fun bolts which provide a through axle option, note you do need the inner axle which replaces the standard QR inner axle this is another 40 plus green backs from CK we just did this on my buds Spot hes noticed a huge improvemnet in stiffness in his rear end on his Spot (HL) the standard ISO front hub is not convertable if ya want 20mm get the 20mm up front its still light and beautifully made:thumbsup:

I guess if ya looking at Kings ya might have budget for I9s they seem to be the new super wheel and maybe worth a look, ya can choose yr rim they specc build the hub and spokes plus ya have spoke colors to mix or match.

Enjoy dude:thumbsup:

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Cost no object, King. I don't know the flange height and thickness comparison between them, if that is a consideration.

I use the Hopes and like them very much. I don't care about instant engagement (nice, but overrated), but I do care about serviceability and Hope is easily serviced without any special tools.

Front hubs are hard to get wrong, so I could suggest a Pro2 front for the options and savings, then King rear if you decided on that.

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Front hubs are hard to get wrong, so I could suggest a Pro2 front for the options and savings, then King rear if you decided on that.
That's a great suggestion... the Pro2 front can be converted with minor fuss (though I am almost certain that the Bulb front converts just as easily)

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I have had Bulbs laced to 819s for 2 yrs on a 5 spot - bulletproof IMO! Plus they are signifficantly cheaper than King's so if the King's prices give you heartburn you will not be compromising much. Good luck finding bulb's though - I don't think there are many left anywhere.

·
Nothing here
757 Posts
Why just those two hubs? I would consider Hadley as well. I think the machining and build is up there with King. They just don't come in all the fancy bling colors. Plus they don't have the seal drag like the Kings

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ventanarama said:
That's incorrect. The King QR hub cannot be converted to 20mm.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]
Larry, my mistake, thanks for catching that.

Znarf, the CK has 72 pawls and the Hopes have 36.

Crisillo, you're correct, the conversion procedure is pretty much the same for both the Pro II and the Bulb.

Unknownrash, you make a good point about the drag on the CK's. Once I got my tension adjusted right and they broke in, it wasn't nearly as bad as in the beginning, but it's still definitely a tradeoff.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
my personal experience with hope's usa customer service has been consistantly poor, therefore id go with kings without question. too bad. i like the products quite a bit but if i cant get my questions answered or the parts i request, then even the best part in the world does me little good. the hadley's had my attention but a string of bad reports reguardin the rear hub has me iffy there.

in the end, im lookin hard at i9's and im about 90% sure thats the direction ill go. looks good all accross the board, my questions answered, my concirns met, the long term durability is there. doesnt hurt that the wieght fits my plan and they look amazin as well.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm with the Corn Man about Hope's CS. Back in '97 I broke a cassette body on a Hope Ti hub. I got no love from the Hope folks. Instead of sending them $$ to fix it, I used the money towards King hubs. Over the years I've accumulated 4 sets of King hubs, and besides paying attention to the drag, I've been happy with them. The 10 year old hubs are still going strong, and must have 10K trouble free miles by now. In fact, I'm going to spend $90 to get an ISO Disk hub shell and convert it to disk, and I expect to get another 10 years of service out of it.

It's a personality weakness, but I'm fickle. I probably won't ever buy anything from Hope again.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
One of each...

I would like a Bulb (or Pro2) front but you would have to pry the King rear from my cold dead fingers. The Bulb front having the option for both QR and 20mm in one hub is a nice feature. I'm sure the King is stiffer but it's just a front hub (no biggie). The rear hub though is another story. King all the way. For the most part, Hopes and King colors match fairly well.

And for the love of all things sane and reasonable, please use at least SuperComps and NOT Revolutions. If you want to be a weight weenie, get the DT 4.2 rims instead and save yourself 115g per wheel and leave the spokes alone.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Similar suggestion to homebrew and JC - I went with a CK rear hub and a Marzocchi Front 20mm hub (cheap and reliable) and used 819 rims and supercomp spokes. Love this setup.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
good point on the revos homebrew. i missed that. if ya ask me, revos have no biz on a disc wheel, a rider over 175 lbs or a bike with more than about 3.5" of cush.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
cactuscorn said:
good point on the revos homebrew. i missed that. if ya ask me, revos have no biz on a disc wheel, a rider over 175 lbs or a bike with more than about 3.5" of cush.
Revs on a King/819 wheelset makes about as much sense as 3" tailpipe on a Civic. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Unknownrash said:
Why just those two hubs? I would consider Hadley as well. I think the machining and build is up there with King. They just don't come in all the fancy bling colors. Plus they don't have the seal drag like the Kings
Amen on the King seal drag. Hate it hate it hate it. Also, they come loose. After 3 years, mine were still coming loose periodically. Sure they're easy to adjust, but it's annoying.

Might I respectfully suggest DT Swiss for the rear? (I still use a king 20mm front, because of the one piece axle and on-the-bike adjustability. Only Shimano saint and new XTR shares these features, to my knowledge. Please, someone correct me if I'm missing something) They are very high quality hubs, also have a very strong warranty, and have an equally simple, high contact area clutch mechanism. Not as good as Ringdrive, IMHO, but better than the pawls on Hope, Hadley. With the lack of drag, I'd say it's a good trade off.

Don't take the weight hit of the 440. Unless you're going to be stressing the flanges, there's no point, as they both share the same 15mm axle. (In King's favor, they use 19.5mm) While the slightly shorter spokes arguably build a stiffer wheel, I would want to see concrete data on exactly how much stiffer before making a decision. Everyone just assumes its loads stiffer, and I've never been able to feel it or find scientific data on the actual difference.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.