Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I honestly know very little about forks/shocks. All I know is that I'm not too fond of my current Dart1's. They bottom out too often, and they are pretty bouncy. Anything better I could look at in the $200-$300 range?

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
That price range can get you into a quality damper on sale. Look for something with the same amount of travel +/- 10mm and something like tpc, motion control, tst5, or a fox. Air suspension isn't as plush or reliable as a coil spring, but you save 40$ if you need to put in the correct coil for your weight, and they're a little lighter. Swapping forks at a shop will cost 40$ or so. I think RS tora 318's are awesome, but it's discount season right now, so maybe you can find a deal.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Manitou Minutes feel great and you can pick up one for real cheap on ebay.

Rock Shox has impressed me with there new line up, alot better than the ol dukes, pslyos and judys. I love my revelation 426 coil, 85-130mm and super buttery. Got it for $350 new. IMO you really can't go wrong with the mid-range rs forks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you guys think about the Rock Shox Tora 318? I read some reviews on it and it looked alright. Someone said "not for jumpers"... why would it be bad for jumping? I do small jumps on occasion, nothing big. Also, is a 135mm travel too much?

·
Bushwacker
465 Posts
Gdawg,we come form the same place. I was running a dart 2 as a stock fork and finally out grew it after about a year. Having about $250 to spend I researched and decided on a Tora 318 U-Turn Coil,. It 's being installed as I write this so I don't have a presonal report. I did read a number of personal and shop reviews and the general consensus is it's the biggest bang for the buck out there in this price range. I chose the coil U-Turn because it has the external, on the fly adjustment option where you can fine tune it's length for your particular frame and also the trail your on. You can let it out on the nasty steep sections and crank it down for climbing which brings your wieght forward over the front wheel. It has motion control, lock out and mine has a remote floodgate lever mountyed on the handle bar for ease of use. I bought mine on ebay for only $249, brand new in the box. It's considered very stiff for it's price range and a little heavy but that's a trade off for being bomb proof. Not much to go wrong with it since it's a coil whereas the air forks I hear can blow a seal and leave you high and dry. That's my two cents, hope it helps.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Not much to go wrong with it since it's a coil whereas the air forks I hear can blow a seal and leave you high and dry
When have you ever seen this happen?

I can tell you that in 16 years of riding I've seen a front air shock blow once, and it was my 1995 Cannondale Headshok that was a total POS

I know the possibility is there, but this is really more myth than truth. It simply doesn't happen on modern air forks. I would highly recommend the Tora 318 as well, and depending on weight of the rider, the air fork may be the much better option. The X-Firm spring for the Tora is rated at 180lbs+...which means its probably good to about 210lbs. If your 220lbs or heavier, the Solo Air Tora is much more adjustable for your weight, and there are plenty of Clydes who are pushing 300lbs on this fork with no issues.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Giant Gdawg said:
What do you guys think about the Rock Shox Tora 318? I read some reviews on it and it looked alright. Someone said "not for jumpers"... why would it be bad for jumping? I do small jumps on occasion, nothing big. Also, is a 135mm travel too much?
Dirt jumpers have pretty beefy forks. usually around 4in of travel and through axles. I''d imagine that the tora would pretty flexy under big hucks with its qr

·
Bushwacker
465 Posts
I've read about a trail failure and heard much more about air seal leaks in general with any air fork. Either way that's a risk a coil owner doesn't face which was really my point.

I read a report from a clyde that said the x-firm is way too stiff. Firm might be the way to go for smaller clydes and under.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What travel length of dart 1 do you have? if it's the 120mm you should be fine with 135mm but otherwise, as a general guide, don't increase or decrease the fork travel from the stock by over 20mm. It can be really bad for the frame as it may not be built for such a steep geometry. I've also heard the Tora 318's are pretty good from a mate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If your bike is still under warranty and you decide to go with the 318's you will be voiding the warranty. Giant frames are usually very well constructed (not as well so as they used to be) but if you don't ride the bike so hard it's under alot of pressure the frame should be fine. If possible try get your hands on one of the 100 or 120mm tora. I've read reviews on them and my friend has the 100mm...he seems to enjoy it.

Keep on riding

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.