Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a new singlespeed. It's going to be all rigid, and I have all the components decided on except the brakes. It has to have disc brakes, which is good because I plan to ride it all winter, in Boston, MA, so I'll need brakes that work and work well in snow and ice and anything else. Right now I'm leaning towards getting some hope brakes, and I am hoping for comments on the setup. I want a stronger front brake and only as much of a back brake as is necessary for good braking balance, so here are my thoughts:

180mm M4 front/160mm M4 rear - 3rd choice
180mm M4 front/180mm mini rear - 2nd choice
180mm M4 front/160mm mini rear - 1st choice
180mm mini front/160mm mini rear - 4th choice

Keeping a mini in the back saves on weight and cost, but I value overall feel and braking performance over weight and cost, ultimately. I am just wondering if anyone has one of these setups and feels like it is a good balance, or feels like they have too much back brake compared to the front. If I put an M4 on the front and a mini on the back, will the brake feel be different? I would like the feel to match.

Thanks

Also, anyone with suggestions for a better non-hope system, feel free to speak up, i'm not deadset on hopes.

·
you said.. Member
228 Posts
jualn said:
180mm M4 front/160mm M4 rear - 3rd choice
180mm M4 front/180mm mini rear - 2nd choice
180mm M4 front/160mm mini rear - 1st choice
180mm mini front/160mm mini rear - 4th choice
I have the 180mm M4 front/160mm mini rear setup on my Yeti 575 geary. It works pretty well. I went for the $/perfomance measure. I take it down the ski slopes at Big Bear and it works great but, I do occationally wish I had more modulation in the rear. When the hopes heat up the mini can be kind of a "light switch" in the steep sections. Also, the 160 does not seem to cool as well as the 180mm so it squeals.

IMHO, if you are looking for serious breaking go with a M4 180mm in front & rear. But, I suppose it all depends on what kind of riding you will do most.

·
Registered
590 Posts
180 mini front/ 160 mini rear

Worked well on the Brew for over 2, no, 3 years. The 180 does most of the work of course. My new Vulture is gonna have mini mono's front and rear, same sizes as the Brew. I never had to do anything to the minis except change brake pads about every 6 months or so. And that once I was pumping the brake handel without pads in, OUT pops the piston. Was easy to put back in and bleed a bit.
The minis work well on long d/h's, i expect the M4s to be even better if all you do is d/h.

bike ON

bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.