Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a new singlespeed. It's going to be all rigid, and I have all the components decided on except the brakes. It has to have disc brakes, which is good because I plan to ride it all winter, in Boston, MA, so I'll need brakes that work and work well in snow and ice and anything else. Right now I'm leaning towards getting some hope brakes, and I am hoping for comments on the setup. I want a stronger front brake and only as much of a back brake as is necessary for good braking balance, so here are my thoughts:

180mm M4 front/160mm M4 rear - 3rd choice
180mm M4 front/180mm mini rear - 2nd choice
180mm M4 front/160mm mini rear - 1st choice
180mm mini front/160mm mini rear - 4th choice

Keeping a mini in the back saves on weight and cost, but I value overall feel and braking performance over weight and cost, ultimately. I am just wondering if anyone has one of these setups and feels like it is a good balance, or feels like they have too much back brake compared to the front. If I put an M4 on the front and a mini on the back, will the brake feel be different? I would like the feel to match.

Thanks

Also, anyone with suggestions for a better non-hope system, feel free to speak up, i'm not deadset on hopes.

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
just go for M4s front and rear. they squeal less (so I hear) and that way you can just keep one spare set of pads around.. the weight and cost difference of an extra M4 is hardly worth it. I was gonna do the same thing, but i decided to go for 2 m4's. also most people use the rear as a drag brake on downhills, so having a larger pad will help manage heat/wear better.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
I'm running the Mono Minis right now w/ 180f/160r and I love them. I have no experience w/ the M4s so I can't help you there, but I was going for more modulation over extreme power. They have much better feel than my old Hayes mags, and slightly more power in front due to the 180mm rotor. So far they are prettty fade resistant on long dhs too. Hope (lol) that helps.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have M4s, front and rear, 180mm on my 5" travel bike. 180mm M4 will be ALOT of front brake for a rigid bike.

I went with the m4s based on their cost. Using minis 180mm front and 160mm rear, would have only been $30 less, due to the adaptors required. Then, like another said, the availablility of XT 4-pot pads for replacements, is really nice.

I think you may be better served with minis, but if you go M4 route, the smallest rotor setup available will be 180mm front, 160mm rear.

Also, give a shout to www.speedgoat.com. These guys sell LOTS of hope brakes. They are superfamiliar with the different hope fitments, and have the best price I could find when I was shopping for mine.

·
Registered
298 Posts
johnmyster99 said:
I have M4s, front and rear, 180mm on my 5" travel bike. 180mm M4 will be ALOT of front brake for a rigid bike.

I went with the m4s based on their cost. Using minis 180mm front and 160mm rear, would have only been $30 less, due to the adaptors required. Then, like another said, the availablility of XT 4-pot pads for replacements, is really nice.

I think you may be better served with minis, but if you go M4 route, the smallest rotor setup available will be 180mm front, 160mm rear.

Also, give a shout to www.speedgoat.com. These guys sell LOTS of hope brakes. They are superfamiliar with the different hope fitments, and have the best price I could find when I was shopping for mine.
What pads do you recommend for the Hope Mono M4? Stock, XT, something else?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Shimano offers a 'metal' (semi-metallic) and a 'resin' (sintered) pad.

Jagwire offers a regular (red) and an 'extreme' (green) compond. I believe the green/extreme pad is of the semi-metallic type. Those are the ones I'm running right now. Can't comment though, as I just installed the brakes with those pads the other week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts