Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my first ever seal & oil change on my '03 Z1 FR SL and I bunged something up.

I first thought something was up when I noticed the ECC internals were stuck in a compressed position after I took them out. I could pull on the top part of the cartridge and it would extend about an inch or so, but it definitely felt like there was some suction keeping it from pulling out any further. I emptied the oil in the cartridge, but it still leaked oil ever so slowly out that single little hole at the bottom. Did I create some kind of stupid reverse-vaporlock type situation?

I foolishly hoped it all work itself out magically once I got everything back together. No dice.

So, the fork is back together and now it won't extend past about 2 inches. Could I have screwed up the ECC setting after I took the plastic ECC cap off by turning the inner ECC piece (that normally gets switched between the 5 ECC positions)? That would mean the ECC cartridge is keeping things from extending?

I suck at the wrenching.

·
otb club member
2,942 Posts
Sounds like you are already on to the problem.

phUnk said:
So, the fork is back together and now it won't extend past about 2 inches. Could I have screwed up the ECC setting after I took the plastic ECC cap off by turning the inner ECC piece (that normally gets switched between the 5 ECC positions)? That would mean the ECC cartridge is keeping things from extending?
My guess is you are right about the ECC. Remove the adjuster knob and the position pin (that lets the knob ratchet) and stick the adjuster back in at an angle that will allow the you to turn the knob in the "longer travel" direction. If you can get your fork to fully extend this way, put the pin back in and re-install the knob in the full travel orientation. You may have to remove the top cap and hold the ECC shaft while you use the lever to "open" the cartridge, then re-assemble and put the adjuster in the open position and re-test.

-Chris
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris, you rule. Thanks for the quick reply. I actually thought about emailing you directly b/c this all started with installing my new www.EnduroForkSeals.com seals, but I didn't want to bug you with a support question that was not really related to your product.

I started to do what you describe last night (around 1:45AM) but gave up because I wasn't sure I was doing the right thing. I also don't remember spinning the inner column that the plastic ECC knob attaches too that much.

Right now the fork is fully reassembled except for the ECC knob detent pin & spring, so I guess I can just spin to win and wait until the fork pops up to full extension just as if I were riding it and turned ECC all the way off.

I'll try that tonight. Cross your fingers.

·
otb club member
2,942 Posts
Yes. Good plan.

phUnk said:
Right now the fork is fully reassembled except for the ECC knob detent pin & spring, so I guess I can just spin to win and wait until the fork pops up to full extension just as if I were riding it and turned ECC all the way off.

I'll try that tonight. Cross your fingers.
Your "spin to win" plan was what I was trying to describe as the first course of action, but didn't do to well at 'splainin. Let me know how it goes.

-Chris

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris2fur said:
Your "spin to win" plan was what I was trying to describe as the first course of action, but didn't do to well at 'splainin. Let me know how it goes.

-Chris
I knew you meant spin to win, I was just saying that's what I'll try. I tried it during my lunch break.

And it didn't work. In fact, it almost seemed to work backwards (meaning the further I spun the ECC knob in the "off" direction, the more it seem to suck the fork down. I probably rotated it about 10-15 revolutions.

Perhaps I actually need to rotate the shaft that the ECC shaft is in? Meaning, the shaft that connects to the largest part of the cartridge. (It has the tiny rubber o-ring at the top of it that slips into the end cap.) I feel so dumb b/c I know I did something stupid taking the cartridge out and now I've got to figure it out & fix it.

Thanks Chris.

·
otb club member
2,942 Posts
Hmm. Too bad.

phUnk said:
I knew you meant spin to win, I was just saying that's what I'll try. I tried it during my lunch break.

And it didn't work. In fact, it almost seemed to work backwards (meaning the further I spun the ECC knob in the "off" direction, the more it seem to suck the fork down. I probably rotated it about 10-15 revolutions.

Perhaps I actually need to rotate the shaft that the ECC shaft is in? Meaning, the shaft that connects to the largest part of the cartridge. (It has the tiny rubber o-ring at the top of it that slips into the end cap.) I feel so dumb b/c I know I did something stupid taking the cartridge out and now I've got to figure it out & fix it.

Thanks Chris.
Sounds like the best thing is to get that cartridge out and get it into the fully extended position before re-assembling the fork. If the cartridge was in fully extended position when it came off, and you removed the knob without turning it, it should have stayed extended. Was your oil really nasty? I wonder if some piece of gunk is plugging an internal port. Anyway, hopefully it will make sense when it is out. Good luck. Hopefully I will here good news from you soon.

-Chris

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Our epic saga has come to an end. I bashed the damn cartridge over the side of my bench vise and cracked it. I'm getting a RockShox Judy to replace it.

Just kidding.

I pulled some citrus degreaser into the hole at the bottom of the cart. and swished it around inside the cartridge. Then I pushed the shaft back into the cartridge to eject the degreaser. The degreaser did come out looking a bit darker than when it went it. Next I fiddled with turning the middle shaft (the grey one) independently of the inner shaft (the copper one that the ECC knob turns) and suddenly, the shaft popped back out to its normal length, like a pop-up turkey timer.

So, its fixed, but I don't have the satisfaction of being 100% sure how I fixed it.

Thanks for your help Chris. Once I find my numbers for how many cc's of oil go in that leg, I'll get to break in my new fork seals. :)

·
otb club member
2,942 Posts
You got me good!

phUnk said:
Our epic saga has come to an end. I bashed the damn cartridge over the side of my bench vise and cracked it. I'm getting a RockShox Judy to replace it.

Just kidding.

I pulled some citrus degreaser into the hole at the bottom of the cart. and swished it around inside the cartridge. Then I pushed the shaft back into the cartridge to eject the degreaser. The degreaser did come out looking a bit darker than when it went it. Next I fiddled with turning the middle shaft (the grey one) independently of the inner shaft (the copper one that the ECC knob turns) and suddenly, the shaft popped back out to its normal length, like a pop-up turkey timer.

So, its fixed, but I don't have the satisfaction of being 100% sure how I fixed it.

Thanks for your help Chris. Once I find my numbers for how many cc's of oil go in that leg, I'll get to break in my new fork seals. :)
Up to the part about replacing it with a JUDY you totally had me.... Glad it worked out.

-Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts