Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
GOT ME A 29ER!!!
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Rocky Mountain Element 50. It has an aluminum frame with carbon seatstays. Today I noticed that there is a crunch in one side about 3x2 cm near the top. I can't ride it right now because my shock is away being serviced. When I get on this bike is the back end going to crunch? Does anyone know where I can buy a new seatstay?

·
GOT ME A 29ER!!!
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to say, I bought this bike used so no warranty :madman: Also I am in Mexico for the next 6 months or so. As far as I know RM doesn't deal here.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,830 Posts
If you don't want to call Rocky Mountain about how to obtain a replacement rear triangle for your Rocky Mountain bike, you could try calling Specialized, or Trek.

They would probably just try to sell you a bike, though.

·
Registered
676 Posts
There is a company California that does carbon repair and they are pretty amazing. From what I have been told, tests that they have done after repairs show the repair to be stronger than the material around it, and you can barely tell the original broken section after.

I can email a buddy and ask as he sent his Carbon Colnago down for repair after a bad crash that broke the top tube near the seat.

D

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
You don't need the rear triangle as it bolts on the top and bottom, just the seat stays likely wise you get it in plain old 50gram heavier Alu to.

I've got a 2010 element team same as yours so sounds nasty :( never liked carbon bits.

They'll ship to mexico, if not get it shipped to family or something then get it posted on, easy peasy.

Goes off to fondle my carbon bits and hope mines okay!!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ditto on Calfee Design, if you don't have any luck finding replacement parts. A couple years ago I snapped the chainstay on a Cervelo R3. At the time a new frame was $2800 but I could have gotten mine replaced under Cervelo's crash program for $2300. Calfee charged me $400 and my repaired frame was back in about two weeks. Looks like new and the repair joint is supposed to be stronger than the rest of the frame.

He has thousands of other happy customers all across the country. A friend of mine absentmindedly drove into his garage with his bike still on the roof rack of his car. Calfee to the rescue for him as well. :D :D :D

http://www.calfeedesign.com/

PS: Calfee is the guy who also makes road bike frames of bamboo. I know a couple of people who have them and love them but they are careful to not let a panda near their bikes. :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts