Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I picked up my newly arrived SS. Since it was shipped from Colorado I had to put some of the bike together. The bike is a dedicated SS with Track ends. The chain tensioners are the built in twist type. Sort of like a big screw that runs parallel with the chainstay. Sorry I don't have any pics yet, but hopefully you SS folks know what I am talking about. The tensioners are not like the Singulator or other similar models.

Anyway, getting to the point, when I went to adjust the brakes, I noticed that one of the chain tensioners was bent and scratching the quick release. The tensioner got wedged in the designated slot (built in by the manufacturer Mountain Cycles) and when I went to loosen it up it got stuck. Then, I made the hasty mistake of trying to unscrew it with a pair of pliers. Dumb idea on my part because the screw broke and is now stuck inside the bike frame.

I know my description is shotty so please excuse me. I have been reading these forums for almost a year now and I am truly inspired to flow with the SS. I have been waiting a long time for this project to come together and now more delays.

For all of you in the know, would you kindly shed some light over here in my darkened corner? Am I stuck with a broken tensioner? Can they be replaced easily? How can I get the broken screw out of the frame without causing further damage? Should I take the bike into a shop or try to drill out the broken screw myself? There are two openings where the tensioner fits into: they are on alternate sides of the dropout. :confused:

Thank you for listening,
Zander

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is anybody there?.......

and does anybody care? I thought this was the place to go for all SS concerns. Can anyone help a noob out? :) Or is helping a noob out to passe?

·
Cracker-magnon
1,153 Posts
Nimai said:
and does anybody care? I thought this was the place to go for all SS concerns. Can anyone help a noob out? :) Or is helping a noob out to passe?
Is it the Pauls type like this where the adjusting screw goes through the fork end?:

Or something slightly different. What frame is it?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I take it you're talking about this...

Is your bike a Rumble?

Don't try drilling it out yourself as you could make it worse. The threading looks pretty small. Have a mechanic take a look at it.

You can certainly ride your bike w/o the screws. Look at all the Surlys, Gunnars, Spots, etc that don't use them.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Something like that.....

I would post the pic from the Mountain Cycle web-site although I don't know how. The frame is a Mountain Cycle S/1. The screw is on the inside of the dropout over the chainstay. Not as fancy as the ones in the pic. The tensioner is just a big screw with a spring on it, but yes very similar

Their site is www.mountaincycle.com

Right now the hubs are set up with QR, however, I am reconsidering putting thru axles on. Any suggestions?

Thanks gpsser, I appreciate the response. :D

·
Cracker-magnon
1,153 Posts
O.K. so is it the part in the fork end or the part in the rear triangle that was bent, and how much of each end is exposed. I would see if you can locate a Mtn Cycle authorized dealer near you to help out with extracting it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You the man.....

How did you attach that image? Yeah, I know I'm slow with the tech. :rolleyes:
I am bringing it in tonight to see what they can do.

Yes I have a Rumble S/1, newly acquired yesterday. I haven't even been able to ride the thing because of this issue. Yes the tensioner and opening are small so it shouldn't be a huge ordeal to remove the broken piece. But, I have QR. Won't the wheel slip under lots of torque and drops?

Thanks steelbike,
Z

·
Cracker-magnon
1,153 Posts
Nimai said:
But, I have QR. Won't the wheel slip under lots of torque and drops?
They should be fine if they are steel faced QRs and you get them pretty tight. Anything softer and they may slip.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm with ya.....

It's the part in the rear triangle that was bent and there is about a 1/4 inch sticking out in the rear triangle and much less in the fork end.

Unfortunately, there are no authorized dealers nearby. I purchased this from Larry at Mountain High Cyclery in Colorado.

·
Registered
847 Posts
QR works fine for me

I 've used steel Suntour and Shimano QR's with no problem on steel and aluminum SS frames. I've raced with this set-up with no problems.

But, I weigh 140 lbs. Add another 100lbs of body and muscle mass as in a good sized clydesdale and all bets are off. Might work, might not for a big guy.

As for pictures, scroll down to additional options, to attach files and upload images. Just follow the instructions or post html.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Approaching the shore of understanding....

I am using Salsa QRs. I am not sure what they are made of. I also weigh about 150# so there shouldn't be too much slippage. If so then I can add a thru axle or get more tensioners once I get the current one out.

Thanks for the pics advice. I'll use it next time. :p

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many thanks to you guys.....

Last night I went to my lbs and they were able to extract the broken tensioner from the frame. Bless their souls! We put the other tensioner back on the non-drive side and replaced the broken one with a Surly Tuggnut. :p

I took it for a spin and boy does it ride nice! :D Very tight, quick, and responsive. I will post pics as soon as Larry gets back from Hawaii and sends me the shots he took. Sorry, I don't have a digital camera. :(

I know the thread is almost useless without pics, but I wanted to thank all of you for your support and suggestions. I also want to thank Larry at Mountain High Cyclery along with Sean (El Beastro) and Henry. They are 110% committed to their customers and some great guys.

If any of you ride in the Mass. area stop by Ace Wheelworks in Somerville and speak with Todd. He is the guy who worked on my bike. Cool guy with tons of bike info.

Pics are coming soon......

Zander

1 - 13 of 13 Posts