Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about ready to throw my fork into a tree. I've been building my dream bike for 4 months - last part, the fork. I purchased one Skareb Super - wouldn't lockout from remote. Returned it and ordered another, this one wouldn't unlock. Returned that one then decided to upgrade to SPV technology - Manitou's new R7 Platinum. Cut it, installed it and low and behold it behaves exactly like my old Skareb.

I press down on my handlebar and it compresses just like a Skareb. I thought the special valve caused the fork to resist this downward compression? Otherwise, why did I spend $600? Have I not done something right during set-up or am I going to have to return my third Manitou fork in a month? I have a Manitou shock pump but do I need a special SPV pump? Is there something you need to do during set-up to make the SPV feature work? Please help, I'm ready to lose it.

·
I dig trails!
5,603 Posts
kranest said:
Please help, I'm ready to lose it.
Sorry to hear your plight.

"Snap Valve" SPV is unfamiliar to me but I can say to give Answer a call, they even call back if you leave a message:
661-257-4411
http://www.answerproducts.com/contactus.asp

With current SPV, more air pressure = more platform

Then there is this from Answer (SPV set up PDF):
http://www.answerproducts.com/pdffiles/SPVSETUP2.pdf

Please post back results as I am sure some of us here would like to hear about how "Snap Valve" SPV performs (or not).

Mr. P

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
You're going to have to describe more of your specific setup and what you've done to test it other than pushing on the bars. Have you used any kind of platform valve shock or fork before? Why anyone would spend 600 on a Manitou I don't know...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
You're going to have to describe more of your specific setup and what you've done to test it other than pushing on the bars. Have you used any kind of platform valve shock or fork before? Why anyone would spend 600 on a Manitou I don't know...
The fork is 80mm on my SC Blur XC. No I haven't used a platform valve shock before but I thought it was supposed to "lock out" automatically when pressure is applied from above and yet still compress to bumps below. Isn't that what spv does? I took it for a road ride but couldn't fully test it on climbs yet. I have the right spv chamber set to about 1/2 my body weight (recommended) and the other chamber set to 3/4 my body weight. This fork came highly reviewed and is very light. Maybe I made a mistake but I'm not sure yet if the problem is:

1. my expectations of what spv does
2. not properly set up
3. bad fork that needs to be returned

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Platform valving isn't so much a lockout but a way to resist rider induced motion; it's best tested on actual rides rather than pushing on the bars. Some platform valve shocks/forks resist that motion or "lockout" more than others, the Fox "x" and "brain" valving is more of a lockout than the Mantiou SPV, for example. If you want a rock solid front end or rear end you're better off with a manual lockout.

You'll have to experiment with a combination of air pressures on your fork to find what works best for your needs; just going by the recommended numbers may not work for you or your pump particularly. Try taking your pump with you on a trail you know well, trying at first a larger range of pressure combinations (using the "recommended" levels as a starting point) to get the general combination of lockout/performance you're looking for then fine tune in small increments. IMHO air forks, especially with spv chambers, just require a fair amount of experimentation to find the sweet spot for you and your riding.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Okay, when you feel you have everything set up "just so" and the bike doesn't bob as much when you're pedalling sitting down then take my post as your "warning" - it'll bob when you pedal standing up. SPV is a compromise - it's up to you to determine how much of a compromise it is.

Good luck.

·
I like to ride my bike.
1,590 Posts
This might work....

I have an 04 Manitou Black OEM with SPV. Basically, SPV sucks. :mad: If you want it to stop "bobbing" you have to pump spv to the highest pressure recommended. For me it's 75 psi, I have no idea about R7s though. :confused: Mine has one side coil, one SPV. The coil is already waaay to stiff, meant for 160lbs rider-I'm 100lbs. So what I do is just leave the Spv chamber empty. But in your case, it does not make sense to do that so if I were you I'd pump SPV to the highest pressure, and put very little in the air chamber. :) That is what I do with my SPV REAR shock. It works like it's suppose to.

SIMPLE VERSION OF WHAT I JUST SAID....
Pump Spv chamber to max pressure.
Have air chamber to very little.
Should work. :D

-Hope that works :D
-You might want to.....get a tpc damping system that you can replace spv chamber with, it'll be crown mounted lockout. :confused:

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Nathaniel Williams said:
I have an 04 Manitou Black OEM with SPV. Basically, SPV sucks. :mad: If you want it to stop "bobbing" you have to pump spv to the highest pressure recommended. For me it's 75 psi, I have no idea about R7s though. :confused: Mine has one side coil, one SPV. The coil is already waaay to stiff, meant for 160lbs rider-I'm 100lbs. So what I do is just leave the Spv chamber empty. But in your case, it does not make sense to do that so if I were you I'd pump SPV to the highest pressure, and put very little in the air chamber. :) That is what I do with my SPV REAR shock. It works like it's suppose to.

SIMPLE VERSION OF WHAT I JUST SAID....
Pump Spv chamber to max pressure.
Have air chamber to very little.
Should work. :D

-Hope that works :D
-You might want to.....get a tpc damping system that you can replace spv chamber with, it'll be crown mounted lockout. :confused:
Why don't you just get the spring kit that's proper for your weight? :confused:

As for SPV - if you don't like it then DEvolve it. Cheaper then buying a new fork if that's what you would answer with (it's a free mod that only needs some of your time). You're not doing you or your fork ANY favor's by running the SPV chamber empty. More harm than good and you're only asking for a repair (just trying to help you save more hassle and money).

No wonder you think it sucks - you're running it like crap.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
I have the FireFly '06 model with SPV. It works like BFFL said, when riding the bike it cuts back on alot of the BOB. If you just push the fork down & up it will work like a normal fork. I run mine at 45psi because i like a plush fork & dont wory alot about BOB also i'm riding a all mountain bike that is 39 pounds. The more BOB you want to isolate the more air you need to run, it's trial & error kinda like life. SPV is not a lock out it stays active while pedaling to absorb bumps but is less active than non SPV. If you stand up & pedal it BOBs very little.

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
I have owned a few SPV Manitou forks. I had an 05' Firefly that had the most noticable platform. With about 55 psi. I could put a little body weight on the fork and it wouldn't compress, give a little push and you could almost feel the valve give way then it would sag. My last two Minute 1's didn't react as such so I can't say which forks were operating correctly. On the trail w/ an air pump would give the best results. I didn't care for the SPV much - poor small bump compliance and no BOB control under standing climbing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Platform valving isn't so much a lockout but a way to resist rider induced motion; it's best tested on actual rides rather than pushing on the bars. Some platform valve shocks/forks resist that motion or "lockout" more than others, the Fox "x" and "brain" valving is more of a lockout than the Mantiou SPV, for example. If you want a rock solid front end or rear end you're better off with a manual lockout.
I think that I just came into this one not understanding what spv is. As Bikinfoolferlife let me know, spv will work differently than my friend's Fox fork. When I showed this friend my bike and he pressed down on my handlebar like he does with his Fox, he (then I) thought there was something wrong with it when it didn't lock out. I thought the spv would behave the same as his Fox and now realize it doesn't. I also did a side by side comparison with the Skareb on my wife's bike and noticed a difference - the R7 does resist more to downward pressure applied on it. I also think I need to pump it up a bit more.

That said, I think I can fine tune it and see how it does its job. I don't need the Fox x or brain valve feature so long as this one reduces a good amount of bob. I'm just glad it was my expectations and not another defective mechanism. That would've seriously driven me nuts. Thanks to all for your imput and education.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
kranest said:
I think that I just came into this one not understanding what spv is. As Bikinfoolferlife let me know, spv will work differently than my friend's Fox fork.I need to pump it up a bit more.
That said, I think I can fine tune it and see how it does its job. I don't need the Fox x or brain valve feature so long as this one reduces a good amount of bob. I'm just glad it was my expectations and not another defective mechanism. That would've seriously driven me nuts. Thanks to all for your imput and education.
You will enjoy SPV for XC riding because it gives a smooth ride unlike lock out that is solid.
Have a great new year :D

·
rain rain go away...
1,195 Posts
to Nathaniel Williams,

u really need to buy the extra soft spring for your bike. that's one thing people always don't do. it's the most impt part. running it like what u have is totally screwed up.

I'm 130 lbs so most forks aren't dialed for me either... just the way it is i guess, unless u purchase an air spring. :D

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
your scarab supers: no lockout = not enough oil. permanent lockout probably = too much oil. my scarab needed oil out of the box because it wouldn't lockout and the compression/rebound adjustments did nothing.

or, your remote wasnt adjusted properly.

spv: try it at max and min settings, going for a ride each time in order to get a feel for the extremes. then dial in from there. without knowing what it's supposed to feel like, set it to what it's not supposed to be in order to feel what it's not supposed to be like...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts