Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm sure somebody here has experienced this. I have a Hollywood four bike, hitch mount hauler and the mounting cups as well as the stabilization arm are scratching my frame like crazy:madman: . I sometimes wrap a rag or a tobbogan around the seat tube where the stabilizer part contacts it. It wore my paint down to the metal in a small spot before I noticed. Also the paint where the cups contact the top tube is getting a little rough.

Normally my bike is only on there for a few miles but in a few weeks I'm taking two bikes on a 15 hour road trip and I need to find a good way to protect the paint or there'll be none left on the bikes. I know it's not rocket science but I was thinking about maybe putting old T-shirt rags soaked with chain lube in the cups and around the seat tube.

Does any one have any other/more permanent recommendations?

Thanks

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
WVJon75 said:
Ok, I'm sure somebody here has experienced this. I have a Hollywood four bike, hitch mount hauler and the mounting cups as well as the stabilization arm are scratching my frame like crazy:madman: . I sometimes wrap a rag or a tobbogan around the seat tube where the stabilizer part contacts it. It wore my paint down to the metal in a small spot before I noticed. Also the paint where the cups contact the top tube is getting a little rough.

Normally my bike is only on there for a few miles but in a few weeks I'm taking two bikes on a 15 hour road trip and I need to find a good way to protect the paint or there'll be none left on the bikes. I know it's not rocket science but I was thinking about maybe putting old T-shirt rags soaked with chain lube in the cups and around the seat tube.

Thanks
Im not sure what your rack looks like, 1 of mine started to scratch, I had worn through the padding, so I pulled all the old padding off and covered it with old inner tubes (stuck on with contact cement. looks great & works

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
WVJon75 said:

Thanks
I would say the toboggan is the problem

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
I cut old inner tubes and put them around the the bike tubes that were being scuffed. worked like a charm. No more scratches or scuffs

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
In Southern American English toboggan can also refer to the type of hat known elsewhere as a tuque or a ski hat. Sometimes this is shortened to boggan or boggan cap.

Never heard of that one, but I never lived in the south either. What are the cups that you refer to and why would you soak rags to surround them in chainlube? Just protect where things rub with rags/innertubes or whatever works, just make sure they don't move while you drive to either move away from what you protect or fly off into traffic...Best bet, though is to get rid of a bike rack that contacts any part of your frame, like a Thule/Sportworks T2 (grabs the tires and works with any bike frame configuration).

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I was backing in Europe a couple of years ago, I remember coming across 2 girls from Alabama that called a 'toque' or 'beanie' a toboggan... I thought it was the craziest thing! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.