Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have the flu if you see anthing wrong sorry

we have been riding for about 1mo..

my friend is about 350-400.LBS... but is trying to lose weight.
his first bike, 2010 GT AGGRESSOR hartail..

we first started out around the parks then i started to find singletracks here in dallas, tx.
like BIG CEDER (S.O.S), R.C.P., OAK CLIFFand now want to go to colorado springs & moab around may or june mybe.

so everytime we get done riding his back wheel is warped. a LBS said he should buy a pair of $400 custom rims and i say buy a full suspension bike

so before we go to colorado im going to a specilized FSR comp or open to to any ones idea

WHAT SHOULD HE BUY?

thanks for your help

·
Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
651 Posts
I'd hazard a guess to say your friend is potentially going to have issues w/ the stock wheels on any bike, FS or HT until he gets under 250-225lbs.

If his bike fits him and the only durability issues he's encountering is w/ the wheels, investing in a burly 36 hole DH wheelset might be the best thing to spend money on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sid Nitzerglobin said:
I'd hazard a guess to say your friend is potentially going to have issues w/ the stock wheels on any bike, FS or HT until he gets under 250-225lbs.

If his bike fits him and the only durability issues he's encountering is w/ the wheels, investing in a burly 36 hole DH wheelset might be the best thing to spend money on.
im i looking for DH wheelset?

·
Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
651 Posts
93MR2T said:
im i looking for DH wheelset?
They're usually a good bit burlier than AM and XC wheels.

They're going to be heavy, but should stand a much better chance of holding up.

Some of the stronger AM wheels might work as well though.

I'd search/ask around in the wheel & tire forum for specific suggestions as to rims, spokes, and hubs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.