Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am riding red pheonix tioga 1.8 tires on my bike ( trek 9.8 elite) I am racing this weekend on a dry but very rooty surface. These are the ust version on mavic rims. I find the tires are fantastic but on roots they roll off the roots and it is very easy to loose the edge. Any ideas or suggestions. Any other thoughts on narrow gauge comparables or better tires for these conditions??

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
toronto_xtr said:
I am riding red pheonix tioga 1.8 tires on my bike ( trek 9.8 elite) I am racing this weekend on a dry but very rooty surface. These are the ust version on mavic rims. I find the tires are fantastic but on roots they roll off the roots and it is very easy to loose the edge. Any ideas or suggestions. Any other thoughts on narrow gauge comparables or better tires for these conditions??
hutchinson pythons are pretty good for racing in rooty dry conditons. i'm running them in a 2.1 and haven't tried the narrower gauge (in fact, i'm not even sure if they come in a 1.9). hutchinson mosquitos are another option - they're almost a semislick and they do pretty well in the roots of western NC. i've used them in both the 1.9 and 2.1 (not ust though). they tend to run narrow so the 1.9 looks more like a 1.7. the mosquitos are also excellent in mud.

good luck in the race this weekend.

rt

·
MTBR.com Addict
616 Posts
wtb tyres

toronto_xtr said:
Go to www.wtb.com and check out the VelociRaptor Race or the Nano Raptor Race. I run the 2.24 Velociraptors on my HT and the Nano's on the FS. Both are very good and confidence inspiring tire sets. I know that on one of the sets you can reverse the rear tire for more grip. It'll say 'optional' next to the rotation arrow on the tire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.