Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, Im a N00b still I just got my bike like 3 days ago. Its a NEXT Shocker26. I didnt get a good bike incase I didnt like MTB. Today was riding on it and the tire started rubbing the bar (dont know the name of it). So I got off it, fliped it over, and got a wrench to adjust the wheel. I got it adjusted and the gear side was all the back and I had to put the other side really far up where you tighten the bolt (dont know what thats called either)to make the tire as centered as possible. When I got back on the bike and rode it like 30 feet. The right bolt moved back and the tire was rubbing agian. So i took off the tire and took the bolts and stuff off and took the axel out and it looked bent. So my question is. Is that the reason why the tire keeps rubbing? Also, How much would a new axel cost me?

Sorry if this post is somewhere else. I didnt really look to hard for it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dropouts

On the side where the derailleur is, the derailleur takes up some space that's why it seemed like you were putting the other side far forward to have the wheel centered. If the rim moved that easily to the side again it sounds like the nut wasn't tightened enough.
I will encourage you to work on your own bike, that will teach you a lot about your bike, you might want to read a book like Zinn and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance to learn as much as you can about bicycle repair.
All that being said, the NEXT bicycles just aren't made for the kind of abuse a mountain bike takes. I don't mean to put down your choice in bikes, and I am not trying to be a bike snob, the marketing of these bikes as "mountain" bikes is somewhat dangerous. All the bikes from WalMart are heavy, made of mostly inferior materials, assembled by people who don't know and/or don't care how to work on bicycles and they all have the potential to be dangerous if ridden harder than what they were designed for. They were designed to be cool looking, mountain bike style street bikes. I fear if you are riding this bicycle as a true mountain bike, you will continue to bend and break things, hopefully in situations where it won't endanger you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i know what your saying. I only got this bike to start off with, and if i start to like mountain biking then im going to goto a LBS and get a used one. Then eventually buy a new bike. So the bent axel isnt the reason why I have to move it up so far on the side without the derailleur?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can't really say

I can't really say if your axel is bent or not, on the dropout without the derailleur it will be farther forward than on the side with the derailleur as the derailleur takes up some space in the dropout, at least that's the way it is on most cheaper derailleur set ups. I would recommend having it checked out by a bike shop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah im going to the Bike Shop tomorrow. I went on my first trail today. Other than doing the superman dirve into the creek. It was awesome. my cheapo wally world bike did pretty well. there was one time when the tire started rubbing and i fixed that in like 5 mins and started on my way. When i did that superman drive int othe creek, i was going down a hill with a switch back and right at it was a little creek with soft grass in it. well i was goign down the hill at a decent speed and i pushed my brakes to slow down and my front brake grabed my tire fasted than the back on dide and i flew over the handle bars and pretty much did a face plant into the little creek. I almost came out of it injury free. I got a scrap on my left shin, left calf, on my right calf, and i messed up my big too pretty bad, its either jammed really good or sprained. I cant figure out how i messed up my tow. but it look likes ill be limping for a few days lol

·
My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
576 Posts
What woudl I do?

I was in your situation not long ago. Go on sheldonbrowns site, or the parktool site and sit and read EVERYTHING that applies to your bike. Because you ride that bike like I did, your going to need to know how to fix everything on the trail.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Shifty906 said:
I've bee there a few times. I changed the axel and she runs good now. Can ya'll give me some info on Raleigh bikes? Are they any good?
I bought a used Raleigh M8000 two years ago (my first mtb since I was nine) and it's worked great. I took all the parts off of it to go on a different bike, but I want to build it up again. It rides really smooth, and I've never had any problem with maintenence.

As much as I like Raleigh, you should definately test ride as many different bikes as you can when you go to the shop. They'll be happy to let you, since it usually means they get to sell you a bike...

As the proud owner of a Raleigh, a Specialized, a Kona, a KHS, a Gary Fisher, and an Ellsworth, I want to recommend that you not be swayed by other people's personal opinions on how a particular brand of bikes works before you try it out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mrwizard said:
I bought a used Raleigh M8000 two years ago (my first mtb since I was nine) and it's worked great. I took all the parts off of it to go on a different bike, but I want to build it up again. It rides really smooth, and I've never had any problem with maintenence.

As much as I like Raleigh, you should definately test ride as many different bikes as you can when you go to the shop. They'll be happy to let you, since it usually means they get to sell you a bike...

As the proud owner of a Raleigh, a Specialized, a Kona, a KHS, a Gary Fisher, and an Ellsworth, I want to recommend that you not be swayed by other people's personal opinions on how a particular brand of bikes works before you try it out.
Ok cool. I dont know which model it was but it was 240 bucks. I dont wanna go over 300 bucks for a bike. Thats why that one caught my eye when iw as looking at them. Right now im oging to keep my little walmart bike till i can say up the 250-300 bucks for a good bike. the wally world bike is pretty good for now till i get really into it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.