Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am planning to go head your guys way in mid to late september, Kinda of a B-day present to myself. Basically what I want to get out of it is scenery and a good week of riding and beer. I just need someone to tell me where to go for those things.

Thank you in advance.

·
a dad
2,910 Posts
Well, first of all best time of year in my opinion to be in colorado....are you looking at staying near denver, how far do you wanna go?? that time of year is my favorite for crested butte rides (and any others where the aspens are) and monarch pass (crest trail and agate creek). i dont know give us a little more information on what you are looking for and we'll get you headed in the right direction.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
detail...

billybobzia said:
Well, first of all best time of year in my opinion to be in colorado....are you looking at staying near denver, how far do you wanna go?? that time of year is my favorite for crested butte rides (and any others where the aspens are) and monarch pass (crest trail and agate creek). i dont know give us a little more information on what you are looking for and we'll get you headed in the right direction.

Uhmm...Me and a pal are driving so as soon as I see those mountains I am gonna want to ride. With that said, something with a variety of terrain and degree of difficulty. Easy for the hangover days :D ....But some other stuff...I have a SC Chameleon, So i have no dual sus. And how long will the elevation bite the lungs? Anyways any questions I will answer I dont know if this helps you out more????

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
LOL, I'm heading your way in September. Well, KY to be more specific. Your Chameleon will be traveling this way, and mine that way.

Look to be huffing and puffing probably the whole time you're here. All of my friends from back home that visit never really get used to the elevation on their trips.

Like billbob said, high country is the sh!t in September... Post up before you leave and get some #'s, I'm sure you could get some volunteer guides willing to ride and drink beer. There are a few ppl here who enjoy that sort of thing. :D

·
ride
5,274 Posts
kitchenware said:
Post up before you leave and get some #'s, I'm sure you could get some volunteer guides willing to ride and drink beer. There are a few ppl here who enjoy that sort of thing. :D
Hey! I like riding and drinking beer! I'd volunteer to be a tourguide.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ignazjr said:
Hey! I like riding and drinking beer! I'd volunteer to be a tourguide.

Right On!.. Where will the best scenery be around the end of september?....What is the temp usually around that time?

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Best scenery? All over. Last year the Indian Peaks were fantastic. Folks always talk Kenosha pass, I've not been there around then. Temps can vary, especially depending on where you're at. 80's on the plains, to chilly in the hills. Basically, you've got to be prepared for everything.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just talked to a friend who moved to aroura recently. I suppose I will start out there and work my way in. I am gonna try to take two weeks off now I think...I am already getting excited. I have a 20 degree bag so hopefully that will keep me warm. Oh, plus my dog!

·
a dad
2,910 Posts
here is what i would do with 2 weeks....start in the denver area by getting used to altitude and ride a day at something like buffalo creek, camp there, and then i would drive down to salida area for another day of adjusting and find a nice easy ride. day 3 - probably Agate creek on Monarch pass (easier than crest but very sweet). head to gunnison, camp at hartmans and ride there for day 4 (nothing steep, fun rolling terrain). day 5 and 6 and 7 in Crested Butte area - i would do reno-flag-bear, 403 and 401 in one day and Dr park in Taylor Canyon. I would then drive over to Fruita for at least 2 days there, take your pick of rides but i like marys, horsethief bench to steves to mack ridge and then one day on all the 18 road stuff.. then day 10 head up to breckenridge-frisco for Colorado trail-swan river ride. if you have more days add another on monarch and ride the crest trail..

temperature in the mountains will be 60's, maybe 70's during the day and 35-45 at night.. in fruita or front range add about 10 degrees or more...

there is a product out there call Acclimate that helps you adjust to high altitude, i have tried it and it seems to work well, you take it a week before you come out...also works real well for hangovers...its made by a doctor in Crested Butte...see if you can find it online, well worth it.

fun dreaming about what i would do with 2 weeks....Matchless mountain is another favorite of mine (taylor park between gunnison and Crestedd butte) have fun!!
might be able to be tour guide on monarch pass the weekend of sept 25 as we will be in salida for a wedding.

·
Hairshirt Rider
1,875 Posts
What Billybob said

I take the family out the CB late September every year - it is a real treat. The cattle and crowds are gone and the scenery is incredible. The only trail recommendation I would add is the **** trail up by Lake Irwin/Kebler pass.

·
a dad
2,910 Posts
Loudpawlz said:
I take the family out the CB late September every year - it is a real treat. The cattle and crowds are gone and the scenery is incredible. The only trail recommendation I would add is the **** trail up by Lake Irwin/Kebler pass.
Yeah, how could i forget the **** trail in september....it is actually in the biggest (or one of the biggest) aspen groves in the world...my only beef is its a little short...but great for a hangover day...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts