Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just discovered this forum yesterday -- cool stuff.

I ride bikes alot, but I'm not too good at working on them, so any kind souls out there who'd like to hold my hand through this?

Here's my idea. My clunker / commuter / pull the kid trailer bike is my first mt bike -- a 1991 steel Specialized Stumpjumper. The drive train is pretty rusty and worn. Shifts pretty poorly, etc. So I thought it be cool to convert it to a single speed.
Smilie I have a vague idea how to do this but have a lot of questions and not much $$ to do it. So I just throw these out there:

What do I need to buy? Seem like I need a new single front chain ring, a new single rear chain ring. Do I need a new rear hub, or can I use the existing one. I've checked out Sheldon Brown and he seems to recommend some places to buy stuff. I'm thinking I don't really need new nice stuff, though. Any good used places? Ebay?

I can take the derailers off and probably install the new front chainring. But what about the rear? Re-dishing the wheel is the part I'm sure I can't do. Can my LBS do this?

That's it for now. Thanks for tolerating all the basic/dumb questions. :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Faq

Take a gander at the FAQ first. That'll answer most of your questions. Bottom line is you've already got everything you need to do a conversion on your '91 Stumpy. You'll just be taking some stuff off. If the chain is rusted, you'll need to get a new one but that'll be something like $10-$15. Have fun and let us know if you've got more questions after reading the FAQ (link is at top of the page).

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tools?

OK - I read most of the FAQ, put the bike up on the stand last night and completed most of the demo. Got the derailers, shifters and cables off. Took the big front ring off. I think I'm doing pretty good, but I've got a few more stupid questions.

1. It looks to me like I need 2 tools to get the rear cassette off: A cassette remover and a chain whip. Any insight into what the correct cassette remover for a '91 Shimano XT cassette would be?

2. As indicated in the FAQs, I need shorter bolts on the front chainring. Although I don't see huge disadvantages to leaving the big cog on (just looks and a little weight, I guess).

3. Removing the granny gear up front seemed a little difficult. I have to take off the crank, no?

4. I think I'll get a new chain to make the thing run smoother. Will any chain do?

5. I found 4 spacers from an old road cassette I had. With the ones in the existing cassette will that be enough?

Thanks for the help. Man, the appeal of this simple bike with all the crap off of it is obvious. Can't wait to ride it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Okay, let me try to answer some of your questions.....

1. It looks to me like I need 2 tools to get the rear cassette off: A cassette remover and a chain whip. Any insight into what the correct cassette remover for a '91 Shimano XT cassette would be?

Yep, if my memory serves you'll need a Park Tool FR-5 or FR-5G (either one) cassette lockring remover and a chain whip (I use SR-1 but you can use whatever).

2. As indicated in the FAQs, I need shorter bolts on the front chainring. Although I don't see huge disadvantages to leaving the big cog on (just looks and a little weight, I guess).

You can buy the shorter bolts at your LBS or mailorder them from somewhere like Webcyclery. The reason to do it is basically asthetics. I guess you could argue weight but the advantage would be minimal.

3. Removing the granny gear up front seemed a little difficult. I have to take off the crank, no?

Yes, it will require the removal of the cranks to get the granny ring off.

4. I think I'll get a new chain to make the thing run smoother. Will any chain do?

Yep, just make sure the chain is the same width as your drivetrain 7/8 speed are wider than the newer 9-speed. I like the SRAM ones with the powerlink for easy removal but you can use whatever you like.

5. I found 4 spacers from an old road cassette I had. With the ones in the existing cassette will that be enough?

I honestly don't know. someone else will have to help with this one....

I hope this helps!

Gabe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.