Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i found this site after i made my purchase:madman:. I bought a Mongoose spark for $200
but then i started getting buyers remorse and couldnt return it because i had thrown the receipt away.

So im stuck with this and i want to get some information on what is most important to get this worthy to ride. I did have some Sun Rhyno Lite/xt 756 MTB Disc Wheels i can replace the stock ones with. Any and all information will be appreciated!:thumbsup:

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
You had wheels worth more than that bike just sitting around? Other than price, just what about that bike appealed to you? Personally I'd say keep the wheels, sell that bike and get a real bike and take it as a life lesson. Upgrading? Makes putting lipstick on a pig seem normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they were my mates tires he was gonna throw on his trek, but ended up going a different direction, and gave em to me.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
madcelt said:
they were my mates tires he was gonna throw on his trek, but ended up going a different direction, and gave em to me.
Nice friend! You can get those on sale though for about $130 a set plus shipping (in the US at least) now that I think about it....but they're still worth more than your bike unfortunately, especially if the tires were included with the wheels your friend gave you. Seriously, that bike is barely a mountain bike, more a pavement commuter for the kitchen help. You'd spend far more than it's worth in trying to upgrade to a decent component spec, much cheaper to just sell the Mongoose and buy an actual mountain bike...IMHO. If you're so broke all you can afford is the $200 bike then you are definitely too broke to spend more money on it. Just ride it into the ground while you save for something better otherwise...

·
Registered
196 Posts
my only advice is this
if you didn't know not to buy that bike then you won't notice the difference between it and an expensive bike.
just make sure you don't throw yourself off any huge drops.
that bike is fine for a beginner, so use it to learn with. when you NEED to upgrade something on the bike you should sell it on craigslist and use that money (plus the money you saved while riding it) to buy a nice entry level quality bike.

i think of it the same as buying a $100 fender squire strat to learn guitar on, then buying a nice guitar after you learn to play.

no matter how much money you spend on your tools it's not gonna make you any better.
in this case the bike is the tools and your riding skill is gonna be the same on that mongoose as it would on a $3000 DH bike.

oh and i'd also use that bike to learn how to work on bicycles. doing your own routine maintenance and tuneups is a great way to save money. i know i'd rather break the derailleur on that bike than the one on my bike while i'm learning how to adjust it.

just ride it and have fun
and next time do a little research before buying stuff. not just bicycles

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i used to ride bmx bike's, it didnt specifiy what type of riding. And thats where i used to live.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
bring it back to the store for store credit, throw a fit if you have to.

if not, then sell it for $100 brand new so u can still get a new bike in 2009 and get some rides in before it really gets cold.

do NOT upgrade that bike. u think u can entertain us and give us a specific weight on the bike?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm guessin 48lbs. Just remember that WAL-MART is not a Bike Shop. All though it looked kewl, giggle, always shop round , check the internet, buy a magazine or 2 and check with your local bike shops.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
madcelt said:
Well that doesn't bloody help now does it.:rolleyes:
WTF Did you buy?? Do you read any of the threads here.... :band: Dude that is the 84 Caddy of bikes! It looks like a winner but is a over weight fancy "looking" thing! Maybe donate it to a local bike club for their next bike toss........:thumbsup:

·
Registered
196 Posts
if you got that at walmart and it's still new looking just bring it back. i'm not sure on their bike return policy, but you don't need a receipt for things at walmart.
just bring it back 3 days after xmas and say your mom bought it for you.

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
226 Posts
if i was in your position i would first go back to wal mart pitch a fit and somehow get your money back. then go on craigslist and look for a specialized hardrock or a trek 3 series. those are good entry level xc bikes. and can be found brand new for about 360 fro the trek and 390 for the specialized. so u can find a good used one for the price that u paid for the wal mart 50 pounder.

i learned and began riding on a trek 3300 13'' bike when i should have been riding a 17 or 18'' bike. haha it was a bike that i had when i was younger and wasnt into mtbing so when i got into it i had to use it.... i looked so funny.. i hunched over the bars haha :) but the 3 series is a great beginner bike along with the hardrock

heres the links to the specialized and the trek

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain_hardtail/3_series/3500/

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45755&eid=4340&menuItemId=9253

·
Registered
79 Posts
woW, looks like i need ta think b4 i drink and reply. i would like ta apologize ta madkelt for earlier post.if it makes ya feel any better madkelt, i got a ef'n way bad hangover, carma suxs. hope santa brought u a new ride this morn.

ps.
marry Chistmas

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
illwill88 said:
if i was in your position i would first go back to wal mart pitch a fit and somehow get your money back. then go on craigslist and look for a specialized hardrock or a trek 3 series. those are good entry level xc bikes. and can be found brand new for about 360 fro the trek and 390 for the specialized. so u can find a good used one for the price that u paid for the wal mart 50 pounder.

if you bought that bike, you dont need a trek or specailized. for the 200 dollars you spent on the wal fart bike, you can go to dicks and get a diamondback or something that will be good enough to ride some beginner trails and learn on. begginers dont need to spend 400 on bike. if you want more of a brand name then check craigslist for good deals. i wouldnt take that bike off anything bigger then curb though. :skep:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts