Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm trying to buy a second hand mountain bike. Mainly I want to ride on hiking trails, dirt roads and unpaved tracks and forest paths.

My budget is about $100-$300. I am about 85kg and 5'11. I'm just looking for some tips on how to pick a good bike.

I'm not really sure if I would be more suited to a cross country or all mountain style or the downhill style. Any ideas?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Your budget is fairly small for a "proper" mountain bike, but it's possible.

You edited your post after I replied, but of the four bikes you originally listed, the Giant STP and Brass look like they have very small frames, and you won't get far off road with only one gear, unless it's a low one. Also the STP does not have disc brakes.

The Giant Boulder is a shopper/ride to work steed with no suspension and riser stem etc. Again no disc brakes.

Of the four, the Giant Talon would be my choice, the frame looks the right size for you, it has basic front suspension, and disc brakes. And is also the newest.
A new bottom bracket will cost about $20 plus possibly the same again if you want the LBS to fit it for you.
Budget for a service too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts