Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
retired
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

It appears likely I need to move the family...I am a SoCal boy so no doubt ANYTHING will be a change for me, wife, and kids...but that's ok.

With respect to potential Jersey employment, would likely be in either Raritan or Titusville area. As such, is there a recommended place(s) that you could recommend living with priority of course on great school district but not too unreasonable with respect to a commute and/or proximity to mountain biking?
I will try the search function to educate myself a bit as well but also wanted to pose the question if you dont mind. Thanks so much in advance.

·
lotto baby
553 Posts
home price will be a large factor for the towns in that area, which generally coincides with how good the schools are.

for riding: if you are ok with an hour drive or so, you'll have lots of different places to ride at in NJ, there's everything from absurdly technical rock-garden riding with some hills to super smooth fast and flat trails throughout the state.

some spots to consider for a titusville job would be hillsboro, clinton and flemington. out in hunterdon county, the schools are regionalized (therefore large) and are pretty good from what i understand.

for a job in the raritan area, you could consider a few more spots... look in somerset county and morris county. for example, basking ridge - my wife is a teacher there, last year they were in the top 100 high schools of the US, but homes cost some $$$ generally, but coming from SoCal, it might not be too much sticker shock.

some other spots to consider for raritan would be bedminster and warren, watchung.

are there any spots you've been eyeing?

as for riding, in hillsboro, you've go the sourlands for a local ride - it could be the most technical place to ride in NJ (it is IMHO). its not a big spot, but you earn your miles. in the raritan areas you've got a few more options like chimney rock, lewis morris, 6 mile.. a few other spots.

for the school data/housing cost info, you should check out www.city-data.com. its a great site, with almost too much info. there are forums and info pages on almost every area in the US, including NJ.

for local NJ mountain biking info, the best resource you can look at is mtbnj.com. its got a large group of NJ riders who post regularly (too much). its the winter, so the antics can get "lively", just like any mtb site in the winter.

·
retired
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
clarkenstein said:
home price will be a large factor for the towns in that area, which generally coincides with how good the schools are.

for riding: if you are ok with an hour drive or so, you'll have lots of different places to ride at in NJ, there's everything from absurdly technical rock-garden riding with some hills to super smooth fast and flat trails throughout the state.

some spots to consider for a titusville job would be hillsboro, clinton and flemington. out in hunterdon county, the schools are regionalized (therefore large) and are pretty good from what i understand.

for a job in the raritan area, you could consider a few more spots... look in somerset county and morris county. for example, basking ridge - my wife is a teacher there, last year they were in the top 100 high schools of the US, but homes cost some $$$ generally, but coming from SoCal, it might be too much sticker shock.

some other spots to consider for raritan would be bedminster and warren, watchung.

are there any spots you've been eyeing?

as for riding, in hillsboro, you've go the sourlands for a local ride - it could be the most technical place to ride in NJ (it is IMHO). its not a big spot, but you earn your miles. in the raritan areas you've got a few more options like chimney rock, lewis morris, 6 mile.. a few other spots.

for the school data/housing cost info, you should check out www.city-data.com. its a great site, with almost too much info. there are forums and info pages on almost every area in the US, including NJ.

for local NJ mountain biking info, the best resource you can look at is mtbnj.com. its got a large group of NJ riders who post regularly (too much). its the winter, so the antics can get "lively", just like any mtb site in the winter.
wow, I GREATLY appreciate you taking the time to help me out :thumbsup:

as for $$$, it is always a tradeoff as you say. Fortunately, I am living in a pretty vanilla tract home that costs a fortune so I will not suffer too much shock...hopefully.

I plan to research all that you pointed out and may post more questions if you dont mind. At this point, you have given me great food for thought...the job is far from secured but now that I am "looking", with Jersey as a likely candidate for a new job, this input will be very useful in sorting out things as we move forward.

thanks again

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
Definitely come back when you know that your job is secure and where you are looking. NJ and NY have some of the best mountain biking in the country and it is never far away. You need a good school district, but it doesn't need to be the highest rank to provide lots of honors/AP classes, good staff, and sports opportunities. Property taxes may also influence your decision. My folks live in Glen Ridge and pay 29K yearly for privilege of living there in a modest home. Jersey is considered a dual salary state. Unless you are really lucky, your partner will also need to find a good job. The sad reality is many people who live in top school districts, work like mad and never see their kids. I do feel positive about western jersey and think highly of the Titusville area. Taxes are lower and you get more house for your money. I've long since fled the Jersey scene, but spend about 8 weeks there during the summers. Do I miss it? Very much. Jersey has a unique culture and lifestyle that is very polarizing. Either you love it or hate it with no in between.

·
retired
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cannonballtrail said:
Definitely come back when you know that your job is secure and where you are looking. NJ and NY have some of the best mountain biking in the country and it is never far away. You need a good school district, but it doesn't need to be the highest rank to provide lots of honors/AP classes, good staff, and sports opportunities. Property taxes may also influence your decision. My folks live in Glen Ridge and pay 29K yearly for privilege of living there in a modest home. Jersey is considered a dual salary state. Unless you are really lucky, your partner will also need to find a good job. The sad reality is many people who live in top school districts, work like mad and never see their kids. I do feel positive about western jersey and think highly of the Titusville area. Taxes are lower and you get more house for your money. I've long since fled the Jersey scene, but spend about 8 weeks there during the summers. Do I miss it? Very much. Jersey has a unique culture and lifestyle that is very polarizing. Either you love it or hate it with no in between.
thanks so much. yeah, the property tax thing REALLY bums me out for sure...that is the only thing that seems a real negative to be honest. right now i only pay about 9K a year which is very tolerable, but i also pay for 4 kids to be in private school which is also killing me. so yeah, will depend on job offer if i get one of course...thx again guys! people are clearly so much nicer here than in SoCal :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Unless I am mistaken, 29K is not the norm for property taxes, actually, not even close. When i was looking for homes, one in Hopewell Twp (near titusville, very good school distrcict0, taxes were 6,000 on a 300K home. A few people I know that have $600,000 homes pay around 10K and are in some of the better school districts in Central NJ.

Not sure what your budget is as far as homes go, but in the titusville area, or most places within a reasonable commute of there, you will not be paying anything close to that. You are also right across the river from PA, which typically has lower taxes, but the areas along the river are going to similar taxes as NJ.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you live IN raritan your child would attend the bridgewater-raritan regional school district, I went k-12 through this system so I am biased, but it is top notch, it is also regionalized which had been metioned earlier, it is probably much larger than what your children are used to in private school. For towns around raritan I would consider Raritan itself, Bridgewater, Martinsville, Warren, Pluckemin, all these towns will have their own uber rich sections, but also affordable sections. All these towns have Chimney Rock park >20 minutes away, and endless other opportunities within the state lines.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Well I don't really know to much about the schools and whatnot where you are looking to move, however there are some excellent places to ride in north jersey. 287 basically runs right through Raritan, and with some driving will take you to the Skyline Drive trails and Ringwood State Park, there are hundreds of miles of trails, some mapped and some not. Also, as already said there are some great rides nearby in PA and New York. Diablo Freeride Park in Vernon NJ and in New Hampshire you have Highland Mountain Bike Park which is arguably the best up and coming mountain biking park in the states. The only thing you'll have to get used to is the terrain which is completely different, oh and the crazy jersey drivers, but other then that the east coast is a great place to live and ride.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Important to keep in mind is that NJ is small and most NJ folks do commute to different towns and cities to get to work, myself included (NYC). I will throw out that Warren Co. will have the best Housing and tax then other counties. Still predominantly rural with lots of preserved land. Town I live in sits at the corner of Warren,Sussex and Morris was ranked 72 in money magazines top 100 places to live 2yrs. ago and has the national blue ribbon awarded school system. Some of the best mtbing in the state (Allamuchy 3parks local, KSVP 15mins, Mahlon 25mins, Chimmeny Rock and Round Valley 40mins, Diablo D/H 45mins and West Milford Parks JH,Ring,and Waway 1hr.). I live in a modest development 2 acres 4bdr. Home and pay $6200 in taxes. So if a little bit of a commute is not a problem you can find what works best for you...

·
retired
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mattybfat said:
Important to keep in mind is that NJ is small and most NJ folks do commute to different towns and cities to get to work, myself included (NYC). I will throw out that Warren Co. will have the best Housing and tax then other counties. Still predominantly rural with lots of preserved land. Town I live in sits at the corner of Warren,Sussex and Morris was ranked 72 in money magazines top 100 places to live 2yrs. ago and has the national blue ribbon awarded school system. Some of the best mtbing in the state (Allamuchy 3parks local, KSVP 15mins, Mahlon 25mins, Chimmeny Rock and Round Valley 40mins, Diablo D/H 45mins and West Milford Parks JH,Ring,and Waway 1hr.). I live in a modest development 2 acres 4bdr. Home and pay $6200 in taxes. So if a little bit of a commute is not a problem you can find what works best for you...
thanks and thanks to all!

indeed...at this point all this info has been very useful for me in hypothetical planning. next step of course is to get a friggin interview...LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.