·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honest question, why is he uninsured? I thought the Affordable Care Act would cover this.
And I honestly can't answer that. I will tell you that he was riding his mountain bike when he got hurt (broken tibia and fibula and some ankle bones). I saw a picture of the injury (they finally removed it, thankfully) and it was gruesome. His close friend Kenneth (who started the Facebook page) told me that he's never seen Chad so worried. He is an awesome rider and the thought of this guy never riding his bike again is more tragic than his accident.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you didn't sign up by the deadline you have to wait until next november for the next sign up period. The insurance companies rationale with this is that people would wait till they are sick to get insurance and then drop it as soon as they get better. I don't agree with that line of thinking. Also it is far from affordable. The cheapest bronze plan from blue shield for me was $252 a month. I found it funny politicians were trying to say it would be as much as your cell phone bill as a talking point but that's 5 times my cell phone bill.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,724 Posts
If you didn't sign up by the deadline you have to wait until next november for the next sign up period. The insurance companies rationale with this is that people would wait till they are sick to get insurance and then drop it as soon as they get better. I don't agree with that line of thinking. Also it is far from affordable. The cheapest bronze plan from blue shield for me was $252 a month. I found it funny politicians were trying to say it would be as much as your cell phone bill as a talking point but that's 5 times my cell phone bill.
Seems a lot cheaper than an hospital bill to me.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
I looked into the Affordable Care Act for me and my son before renewing my coverage at work but it was cheaper from my work.
It works by how much you make so everyone's rates vary.
Also it's very hard to impossible to communicate with them by calling or even text chat on their web site.
Also I shared link on my FB.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
True I won't argue that, medical costs are outrageous. I just haven't been to a hospital in over a decade so $3,024 a year is a lot of money to someone who's previous medical costs were $0.
Right. And I have not died yet, so I probably do not need life insurance. And I have not been in a car accident. And my house did not burn down. What is this "insurance" thing anyway.

But I am glad that my jacked up rates (about doubled since Obamacare) will help pay up for dead beats who would just rather not pay their next emergency room bill.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,724 Posts
Right. And I have not died yet, so I probably do not need life insurance. And I have not been in a car accident. And my house did not burn down. What is this "insurance" thing anyway.

But I am glad that my jacked up rates (about doubled since Obamacare) will help pay up for dead beats who would just rather not pay their next emergency room bill.
Axe is right on. Not buying insurance is just not smart and frankly is just mooching off of the rest of us that do. I hope that they jack up the tax penalty for those that don't participate in the plan.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just so we're all clear I do now have health insurance. My biggest concern is that rates have essentially doubled or tripled since before the "Affordable" health care plan was passed. What has changed? Was there not deadbeats before who didn't pay their emergency room visits? I don't know how anyone was mooching off people who do pay insurance either. They went into crippling debt and unless they filed for bankruptcy that debt was theirs alone. The problem is we charge like 10 times as much for procedures and hospital visits than other countries, and in my opinion similar to lawyers people get into the profession to make money more than they do to help people. At least with things like car, home, fire, etc. insurance you have the choice to not participate or own those things. Not to mention on top of a $3,024 premium a year I still have a $5,000 deductible. So unless I get that much medical attention in a year I am essentially paying for nothing it's just another tax.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes, that is exactly how any form of insurance is supposed to work. Whether you buy it yourself or your government buys it for you. There is no free lunch anywhere in the world.
Ok thanks for stating the obvious I took economics too, you still didn't answer my question of what has changed to makes rates double? Was there not deadbeats before who didn't pay their hospital bill? @Always Smiling that's why I said you had the choice of not owning one, participation was meant for things like fire, flood, earthquake insurance. You can choose to not own a car and you don't have to have car insurance.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Be thankful

So unless I get that much medical attention in a year I am essentially paying for nothing it's just another tax.
Be thankful. Insurance gives you peace of mind, even if you never use it. But if you want your money's worth break a leg, have a heart attack or get cancer. I've paid car insurance for over 45 years and gotten nothing for it.

·
Yeah!
1,457 Posts
Ok thanks for stating the obvious I took economics too, you still didn't answer my question of what has changed to makes rates double? Was there not deadbeats before who didn't pay their hospital bill? @Always Smiling that's why I said you had the choice of not owning one, participation was meant for things like fire, flood, earthquake insurance. You can choose to not own a car and you don't have to have car insurance.
The rate an employer pays for healthcare for it's employees is based upon how many employees they insure. In expectation of losing employees to national healthcase insure and seeing an increase in their healthcare rates, many employers sat down with their healthcare provider and re-organized their programs so the cost to the company would see a major increase.

TL;DR People leave their company's healthcare plan for obamacare, company health premiums go up, partial or all cost increases passed on to employees.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
Ok thanks for stating the obvious I took economics too,
Sorry, that was not obvious from your rant.

you still didn't answer my question of what has changed to makes rates double?
More people got their rates subsidized. Just because federal government did not have the guts to raise taxes, they put that burden on private plans and businesses.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The point of that part of my rant was the ratio of premium to deductible. I pay $1668 a year in car insurance with a $500 deductible roughly 30% of my premium. The ratio for my healthcare is 166% deductible to premium not exactly a deal. I understand what you are saying now it just sucks you either get subsidized or medical (welfare) or pay out of your ass.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
Well in this case the OP's friend don't have insurance.
I agree with Finch Platte he should look into Medical as an option.
One of the main reasons I carry insurance is for time's like this.
A couple of year's ago my son was riding home and got hit by a hit and run driver.
Thank God my son wasn't injured that badly but the medical cost were over $20k we were lucky because our insurance paid most of it we had to pay $3k.
So hopefully this will be a lesson to get insurance because it can happen to any of us at anytime.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,271 Posts
The insurance companies rationale with this is that people would wait till they are sick to get insurance and then drop it as soon as they get better. I don't agree with that line of thinking.
Kinda sounds like something this guy would do...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kinda sounds like something this guy would do...
Who? The guy who got injured? How would you know that? I think if anything, he'd learn his lesson and be insured from this point on.

As much as this thread has turned into a political, ethical, academic and moral discussion, it's good because it keeps the thread near the top and hopefully, some forum members would click the link and have the compassion to help, be it monetary or guidance. But let's reserve judgement, shall we? The last thing this guy needs is someone being critical of his situation (being uninsured).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.