Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Homers,

I need your opinion. My good friend has decided to sell his very sweet Flux. He found out that he needs to undergo some surgery that will put him out the game for a while and will be building a bike with Larry again when he is ready to ride again.

I told him I would help him to price it but frankly, I cant possibly help him the way you folks can in terms of fairly pricing the bike thus, this post.

The bike has only been ridden about 5 or 6 times. Except for the wheels, which he bought ahead of time, everything was purchased through Larry so you know it is good to go.

What is a fair price for the following speced bike before he posts it?

Frame = Large Flux
Fork = Fox F100RLT with PUSH upgrade
Rear shock = RP3
headset = King (red)
rear der = SRAM X.O.
shifters = SRAM X.9. trigger
front der = Shimano XTR 961
Cassette = SRAM
brakes = Avid Juicy 7 brake set 185mm front/160mm rear with Goodridge cables
bar = Race Face Next riser bar, 31.8mm diameter (carbon)
stem = Thomson X4 (31.8mm)
seatpost = Thomson
saddle = WTB Laser V Stealth
grips = Oury Lock-on grips with cane creak ergo bar ends
crankset = Race Face Next LP’ with RC signature ti BB
pedals = Look Z control pedals
skewers = Red Hope Skewers (front and back)
seatpost clamp = Red Hope
wheels = Mavic Cross max SL UST wheels with new Paneracer XC fire pro’s 2.1

Cheers and thanks in advance.

·
bike moron
131 Posts
Maybe you take a percentage off of what the total price was. Take a piece for the (slightly) used status and another piece because everyone's build spec is different. So what's that number? I dunno, maybe 5%-10% for each so he takes 10%-20% off of what he paid.

See Turner homers can do 'rithmitic too....what a crew we are..... ;)

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
windidiot said:
Maybe you take a percentage off of what the total price was. Take a piece for the (slightly) used status and another piece because everyone's build spec is different. So what's that number? I dunno, maybe 5%-10% for each so he takes 10%-20% off of what he paid.

See Turner homers can do 'rithmitic too....what a crew we are..... ;)
yeah I think a percentage is probably a good starting point. perhaps 20% off of the price (can't remember what he paid right now in total) but that may be as good as any other algorithm. I think if he got in the high $3K range that would make him happy.

thanks

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Turner sold the IBike demo fluxes for about $3k I think. That guy's spec is a little more chi-chi so I think he could get mid-3k if he did a good job advertising: lots of good pics, a detailed description, generally forthcoming, etc.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tscheezy said:
Turner sold the IBike demo fluxes for about $3k I think. That guy's spec is a little more chi-chi so I think he could get mid-3k if he did a good job advertising: lots of good pics, a detailed description, generally forthcoming, etc.
good point re: IBike demo prices. Thanks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
IMO, it's really hard to get that much for a used bike. If you have to get that much out of it, part it out. This is one reason I rarely sell used parts. It's just not worth it.
I know this bike is almost new. But I see bikes kinda like cars, they loose 30% of their value the second they role off the lot.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
tscheezy said:
The IBike demos were sold at $2600 + Tax + Shipping. I'm guessing that would have been about the wholesale prices of the frame and components. I did a best guess of what the bike would have cost at full retail and came up with about $4K (not that anybody with half a brain would pay full retail for every component on a complete bike build, I hope).

I agree with Tscheezy and would start at the mid $3K range.

Good Luck,
Paul

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2TurnersNotEnough said:
The IBike demos were sold at $2600 + Tax + Shipping. I'm guessing that would have been about the wholesale prices of the frame and components. I did a best guess of what the bike would have cost at full retail and came up with about $4K (not that anybody with half a brain would pay full retail for every component on a complete bike build, I hope).

I agree with Tscheezy and would start at the mid $3K range.

Good Luck,
Paul
that is what I was thinking myself. I think he should be content with mid $3000s personally given my experience in selling bikes as of late.

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.