Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've got a 38/26 on the front of my hardtail with a bottom pull older XT mech.

Due to the lower size of the chainring from a std big ring, I cannot lower the mech on the frame enough to get close to the std, say, 2mm gap btw mech cage and ring you would use on a normal set-up.

The mech cage is set just a business card's thickness off the chainstay!

I have about a 10mm gap above the 38t to the mech cage.

I hate dropping my chain. The mech is adjusted just right but I think I need to close the gap. As I see it my options are to

1. Live with it.
2. Road front mech. Do these have less drop on the cage?
3. Saw the bottom off my mech and lower it to the correct position.
4. Won't be fitting a bash guard type affair as I'd rather put the big ring back on.

If I saw the base of the mech cage will it give me probs if I switch back to 3x9? Flexing issue on shifts?

Thanks for you help dudes.

Davo

·
Registered
536 Posts
#2 or waiting for the new SLX or Saint FD's are are best solution. Road FD's have a max capacity of 16t rather than the 22t of a MTB FD, so the cage does have less drop. The new SLX & Saint FD's are designed for doubles.

I'd recommend getting either the SRAM Force FD or a Tiagra double, the higher-end Shimano's are skinnier and may rub with 9speed chains.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.