Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really thinking of making the big leap(or just add to my stable,but ride of course)a 29er.I want it to be rigid and am leaning towards a S.I.R 9 or maybe E.M.D.9. Any help or input for me would be great.Thanks.CF..

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
CRAZY FRED said:
Really thinking of making the big leap(or just add to my stable,but ride of course)a 29er.I want it to be rigid and am leaning towards a S.I.R 9 or maybe E.M.D.9. Any help or input for me would be great.Thanks.CF..
What help?
Input on what?

You can't lose with either option you've lined up.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I always advise to make a new bike purchase as different as possible. No steel in your stable ? Then consider it. Get weird handlebars, if you think they may work for you. SS as an open option if you're new to that.
Few 29"ers on the market you could go wrong with, although the way you build a bike up and specific riding preference may make a build less ideal for YOU.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
29Colossus said:
What frame material do you like... need? Have you ridden a nice steel bike before?
I own a steel park bike,and a few years back had a nice 9inch steel KeeWee.That was the only steel fully I've owned.The only rigid bike I've owned or ridden has been alu.I'm just thinking that for this one I'm going steel.

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
CRAZY FRED said:
I own a steel park bike,and a few years back had a nice 9inch steel KeeWee.That was the only steel fully I've owned.The only rigid bike I've owned or ridden has been alu.I'm just thinking that for this one I'm going steel.
I agree. I see a SIR 9 or even a MCR 9 in your future. Now the hard part... what size and color?

:D

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
CRAZY FRED said:
Is it true that 29er's run big? I ride a medium in 26in would this mean I need a small 29er?
Not necessarily! Going to your LBS and trying out different sizes is best of course. If that's not an option, then ask about specific models on here and give your measurements. There's bound to be riders heer your size riding the model(s) you are interested in. Finally, many manufacturers are happy to help you out too - for instance, Niner bikes will happily help fit you to the right sized bike from their lineup if you give them a call.

Cheers, Chris

·
rider
2,356 Posts
CRAZY FRED said:
Is it true that 29er's run big? I ride a medium in 26in would this mean I need a small 29er?
Not at all. Some 29ers run big just like some 26ers do.

There is some wacky preconception among many that 29ers have higher bottom brackets than 26ers because of the bigger wheels. Of course this makes the whole bike taller. LOL! Sigh, further evidence that the human race is doomed...

Think about it, if you are designing a 29er frame, you can put the BB anywhere you want. The BB could even be placed so low that the cranks could not be turned a full revolution without hitting the ground.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
CRAZY FRED said:
Fred, we need more info on your size and weight, inseam .... etc..etc.. to be able to offer help here.

There are no doubt a ton of recommendations we could make if you give us more personal info.

R.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A lot can happen in a day...

FoShizzle said:
dude, i cant believe you are not gonna have Nicolai hook you up with a custom one-off 29er frame! :)
We'll you bring up a good point,and my guy is telling me that 19 to 20 pound ArgonCC is a to die for dream ride.26er though. Thanks again guys.CF...

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
CRAZY FRED said:
We'll you bring up a good point,and my guy is telling me that 19 to 20 pound ArgonCC is a to die for dream ride.26er though. Thanks again guys.CF...
29ers aint "all that" for everybody.....i am seriously considering a 26" hardtail as my next bike if the price is right

and if you get a 29er you better get some big asss rims cause i am sure you will be riding the same sh!t you ride now and if you dont get burly heavy asss rims, the odds of them buckling is higher as you know

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
FoShizzle said:
29ers aint "all that" for everybody.....i am seriously considering a 26" hardtail as my next bike if the price is right

and if you get a 29er you better get some big asss rims cause i am sure you will be riding the same sh!t you ride now and if you dont get burly heavy asss rims, the odds of them buckling is higher as you know
Man... she really hurt Fo bad.... It's been in a tailspin ever since. :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.