Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could do with your expert guidance.

For 2020, I'm focusing on outright XC racing and am about to pull the trigger on a '19 S-Works Epic.

However I'm right on the edge of frame sizing since I'm 179 cm or 5ft 10.5', with 31' inseam.

Should I go for medium or large, bearing in mind it's more about racing than all mountain.

Thanks all

·
Registered
255 Posts
That seem really on the line of M or L. I was between S and M. I looked at STACK and REACH. I knew I'd barely have a saddle to bar drop even on medium (68cm saddle height), that was the kicker. Reach I am trying to ride a 60-80 stem if possible.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That seem really on the line of M or L. I was between S and M. I looked at STACK and REACH. I knew I'd barely have a saddle to bar drop even on medium (68cm saddle height), that was the kicker. Reach I am trying to ride a 60-80 stem if possible.
The bike fit guys said I will fit on both - but the large will have a taller stack meaning the stem can be slammed whereas on the medium spacers will likely have to be used.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am 5’7” with a fairly long inseam for my height (around 31”). I comfortably ride a medium. Saddle height is 72cm, and I am using a setback post to get the saddle offset I need. I have the stock stem (70mm), and the reach works well for me. I do feel like part of what is so great about the Epic is the steering geometry. I believe a longer stem would mess that up a bit.

While you could go with a M, without seeing you on the bike I would go with a L based on your height. On a medium you would probably need a longer stem, and that would probably take away some of the great steering of the bike. Of course the XC pros run 100+ mm stems on their bikes, but I think they fit into a different category than most of us mortals.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am 5'7" with a fairly long inseam for my height (around 31"). I comfortably ride a medium. Saddle height is 72cm, and I am using a setback post to get the saddle offset I need. I have the stock stem (70mm), and the reach works well for me. I do feel like part of what is so great about the Epic is the steering geometry. I believe a longer stem would mess that up a bit.

While you could go with a M, without seeing you on the bike I would go with a L based on your height. On a medium you would probably need a longer stem, and that would probably take away some of the great steering of the bike. Of course the XC pros run 100+ mm stems on their bikes, but I think they fit into a different category than most of us mortals.
Very good point - Specialized would have designed and spec'd using part dimensions that keep the handling and overall geometry of the bike sweet based on rider height. Going longer on the stem will bring me more over the front tyre, than keeping the weight more central on larger frame?

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
I could do with your expert guidance.

For 2020, I'm focusing on outright XC racing and am about to pull the trigger on a '19 S-Works Epic.

However I'm right on the edge of frame sizing since I'm 179 cm or 5ft 10.5', with 31' inseam.

Should I go for medium or large, bearing in mind it's more about racing than all mountain.

Thanks all
Large for sure.
I am 5'7" and I am on a medium with stock 80mm stem. I have longer inseam and run alot of seat post. However it fits me well relative to comfort and handling, but at your height large all the way.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Same height as you, on a M with a 100m stem and 50mm saddle- bar drop. Having ridden some more trail type bikes I think a L would have been better with a shorter stem, would be better too with a bit less drop on steeper tech. Can always run a -17 stem though if need be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I will say a buddy of mine has been riding a large epic for a while now and recently went to a medium and it fits him way better.

The main changes you can make to a bike to negatively impact the geometry are trying to make the bike SMALLER.
Makes the bike more twitchy and messes with handling. Longer (within reason) will usually leave you sitting pretty.

All this being said he is your same size and is now on his 2nd or 3rd bike in a medium since making the move and enjoys the fit much better and he didn't even need to make any changes.

Trail bikes are a different story as they are completely different geometry wise.
I would definitely suggest a medium in the Epic.

·
Registered
596 Posts
These new bikes are long enough in terms of reach, front center and wheelbase where sizing down is no problem in terms if handling.
A medium will not be sketchy.
Don't be afraid to ride a 90-100mm stem.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
I know everyone is different, but me being at 5'7.5" I feel like I fit well on Medium. If I were 3" taller with my same proportions I feel like I would need be on a large. I can't see how a medium would work. I run an 80mm stem and lots of seat post exposed already.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am the same height as you, with a 32" inseam. I bought a large, which fits fine. My previous Epic was a 2011 and that was a medium. But when I bought my 2019, my shop recommended I go with a large, and I was a little reluctant to size up, but now it seems like it was the right choice.

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
I know everyone is different, but me being at 5'7.5" I feel like I fit well on Medium. If I were 3" taller with my same proportions I feel like I would need be on a large. I can't see how a medium would work. I run an 80mm stem and lots of seat post exposed already.
A M would work by running around a 100mm stem for his height. You can make either size fit, just depends how far over the front you want to be.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.