Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
Joined
·
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
prob w/ '05 Z1 FR 1 clicking/clunking/pinging inside ?

Picked up a slightly used '05 Z1 FR I, did a quick oil change (from top caps only, not foot nuts) with manual-suggested 120cc/R + 135cc/L oil volume and 1 bar (15psi) air preload, and went out for a test ride.

Then, back at home, just compressing the fork in my garage, I noticed this clicking/clunking/pinging-like(?) sound, whenever I initiate compressing it now. :skep:

I even re-opened the top caps, checked the springs being centered with spacers/washers inside, re-installed the top caps, and the sound/noise was gone..., briefly. Except, when I re-adjusted rebound & air preload and played with ETA again, the same noise/sound just came back. I think it's heard thru the first-1/3 of the stroke...

At times, I thought it almost sounds like clicking/firing one of those disposable kitchen lighter thinggies (pic below)... A bit like a pinging of a spring, as if the springs aren't really sitting right with the spacers/washers (but they are), sorta... Sometimes it's just a "ting", other times it's "cuh--ching" (just like the kitchen lighter). If I keep compressing the fork repeatively in a row (w/ stanchon exposure of 150mm), then it doesn't sound after the 2nd or more compressions. (Maybe that's why I didn't notice it while riding?) But, if I let it go and/or lift the front wheel off the ground (w/ stanchon exposure of 154mm), the sound starts up all over again.


Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal? (My '03 & '00 Marz's don't do that at all.) Can I keep riding like that? :skep:

Thanks,
- PiroChu
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Hi,

I can only confirm that these sounds are not normal for 2005 Z1. The fork should run silent, except some oil sloshing sounds coming from cartridges. Also, if you lower oil levels dramatically, you can hear coils tensioning... you know like old matresses or similar.

Taking it to quality Zocchi service center sounds like your best bet. Also, I would ask previous owner obout this...
 

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
Joined
·
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
oil level ?

MikeTheSpike said:
if you lower oil levels dramatically, you can hear coils tensioning... you know like old matresses or similar.
Well, I measured & put in the recommended amount of 120cc in the right leg and 135cc in the left leg. Interestingly, that left the oil height (measured from the top) of 90mm in the right leg and 35mm in the left leg. I actually thought this was kinda weird (especially the 90mm = too little oil?), coming from '03 Marz, but simply thought maybe it has to be with the '05 "air preload" thinggie.

http://marzocchi.com/spa/mtb/products/oillevel.asp?y=2005&LN=UK&Sito=mtb


The recommended "air preload" range is 0~15psi (or 0~1 bar), and I'm already maxed out, even though I'm only 150lbs + 15lbs/gear. Maybe the recommended oil volume for the right leg is inaccurate, and that I have to put more air in the right side?

http://www.marzocchi.com/System/8369/2005-bomber-en.pdf
http://www.marzocchi.com/template/d...#4#DQG#&Prgho\hdu&#@#;68:&mCJ=&IDOggetto=8450

Thanks,
- PiroChu
 

·
carpe mañana
Joined
·
7,313 Posts
PiroChu said:
Well, I measured & put in the recommended amount of 120cc in the right leg and 135cc in the left leg. Interestingly, that left the oil height (measured from the top) of 90mm in the right leg and 35mm in the left leg. I actually thought this was kinda weird (especially the 90mm = too little oil?), coming from '03 Marz, but simply thought maybe it has to be with the '05 "air preload" thinggie.

http://marzocchi.com/spa/mtb/products/oillevel.asp?y=2005&LN=UK&Sito=mtb

The recommended "air preload" range is 0~15psi (or 0~1 bar), and I'm already maxed out, even though I'm only 150lbs + 15lbs/gear. Maybe the recommended oil volume for the right leg is inaccurate, and that I have to put more air in the right side?

http://www.marzocchi.com/System/8369/2005-bomber-en.pdf
http://www.marzocchi.com/template/d...#4#DQG#&Prgho\hdu&#@#;68:&mCJ=&IDOggetto=8450

Thanks,
- PiroChu
Try equalizing the oil to 50mm below on both sides. It is likely that you didn't get all the oil out of one of the legs, hence 30mm. That's defiantelly too much oil, you won't be able to get full travel out of that fork, in any regard.

_MK
 

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
Joined
·
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
MK_ said:
It is likely that you didn't get all the oil out of one of the legs, hence 30mm.
Hummm, I really thought I got it all out (cycle carts numerous times and hang it upside-down over night, etc), but maybe not(?)... So, you mean to say that, when you completely empty your '05 Z1 FR 1, putting exactly the noted 135cc/left gets you right at 50mm/left height?

Anyway...

Moreover, I should also worry about my right-side for having oil height of only 90mm (from the top), as I kept bottoming out during a test ride on some regular 4ft'er stuff, even with recommended 15psi/max air preload.

I actually called Marz, and what they told me simply confirmed that I should've just followed the good-ol' no-fuss/no-error golden-rule of 55mm~45mm "oil height" method that I've always used for all my other previous Marz forks as usual, rather than this new (total-BS) "oil volume" method. :madman:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1943003
In that case, my 90mm/right (which was simply per the manual-recommended 120cc/right) is way too lil' oil. (Duh, of course!)

So, I wonder if adding the oil back up to more normal level will simply solve this clicking-noise issue...? :confused:

Anyway, I'll just stick to the "oil height" method, thanks very much. :p I just hope I didn't (already) break anything during the one test ride... :skep:

By the way, since the noted oil volume chart seems to be wrong, I wonder if I can even trust the "recommended" air-preload range of 0psi/min ~ 15psi/max at all, either?

Thanks again for your feedback,
- PiroChu
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top